UDT sidemount manifold question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. He did have some training by the dealer, as I understood it, I don't care for his dealer personally, and this reinforces that opinion. I don't dive side mount yet so I was just asking on here for him.

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the brevity and typos. 8^)

Ok, give him my email, utddiver@hotmail.com and I can help in anyway I can.

Jay Schier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jay.

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the brevity and typos. 8^)

So I guess the UDT video assumes something

Yes, that you're not trying learn how to dive from the Internet. I cant comment on what training may or may not have been given.

Good to see some people step up to help you guys not hurt yourselves and get the most out of the system. We've been diving ours for around 3 years now with no issues from singles to 3 cylinder staged deco dives. It now forms the base for my rebreather.

I would highly highly recommend a course to get the valve drills, flow checks and resolving the 9 failures sorted as it is different to indie sidemount. Also to get your emergency handling squared away, especially if pushing into overhead/deco though a lot does translate over from twinset back mount diving.

the gas management is pretty simple and reading the right articles will cover most of it if his normal tech training was done properly.

For the UTD system specifically you have to turn one bottle off. The frequency that this occurs is up to the individual diver and also the size of the tanks. Larger tanks have a larger buoyancy swing/psi used, so on big steels a 300psi difference might be enough to notice, on smaller tanks you might not have an issue with a 1200psi swing. One of the common methods in cave country is 600psi left, 1200psi right, 1200psi left, etc. We use 600psi because a 3600psi fill is "full". Doesn't matter whether or not you are using the UTD manifold or swapping regs, same principal. I'm not going to waste my time watching the videos again, but I'm 99% sure that in at least one if not more of the videos he mentions turning one tank off.

This all being said, UTD wants you to get trained, though with there comical advertising at DEMA saying they needed instructors I'm not sure how many sidemount divers are actually buying into that ridiculous system. They aren't going to go out and tell you exactly how to dive their system because they want you to take their class which is more money in their pocket. You're going to have to hunt pretty hard to find one. There is one on the east coast, she is in MD. She is literally the only one in the country that isn't in California. Tanya Kuck btw, never heard of her, and due to lack of mutual friends on FB I'm assuming she's not a well known cave or tech diver either.... Not saying she's a bad instructor, just that I'd be skeptical, this end of the community is pretty small...

The videos AG has posted are pretty good, watch them all at least once if not more, and make sure you pay attention to them, that will get you most of the way there. After that you'll have to either go to MD or CA to get trained on it because I don't think any of the instructors in NFL will touch that system with a 39.5' pole. They're accommodating on different bc's, but I've never one of those systems used down there and the one person that I saw that had one, was using the "normal" sidemount setup after his first dive.

Ok I think I see the issue I believe. Since we are talking IP there will need to be a balance struck between the two regs so that they give gas as equally a as possible.

The IP will never be equal. The length of hoses alone is enough to cause slight differences and draw from one tank or the other (whichever has the higher functional IP).

You have to balance the consumption by turning on-off the tanks as described. Personally I think this actually creates more opportunity for issues than it solves since you cannot tell by looking which tank is being used and the shut off reg could extrude an oring when its turned on etc. But I don't care how you dive that thing so carry on :)

rjack, good points. I use vindicators on my valves which is a great way of having a quick visual for open/closed. That said, really not hard to know which is open/closed. 4 years now and not a single O ring issue, not saying it couldn't happen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom