Best option for SoCal diving with full gear rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

can anyone recommend a good dive spot (boat or shore) in SoCal near LA with full gear rental?

I shopped around and it appears I would have to pay $130 for the boat plus around $80 for full gear rental (I only have a mask :wink:)

Is there a more economical way to go for a dive trip?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

You can get a full set of gear for $45 1st day/ $30 after that at Sport Chalet. There's only about 30? stores in SoCal...
Scuba Services-Specialty Services and Rentals - Sport Chalet

Find someone to shore dive with. Someone probably knows of some dives going on in the L.A. area in this forum. I don't live there.

Diver's Cove, Heisler Beach, Shaw's Cove or maybe Vet's Park seem to be popular options.

Here's 20 shore dive sites near Laguna Beach: Divers Cove in Laguna Beach California Here's another list for SoCal: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/index.htm

Closer to San Diego there's Power Scuba. They have a Meetup group and dive regularly. Power Scuba

There must be similar groups in the L.A. area. I'd guess any dive shop knows of some, sponsors some or has a buddy list.

Near LA? Malibu, Vets Park in Redondo, Palos Verdes. If OC then Laguna (Shaw's Cove, Diver's Cove, Montage, Crescent Bay, etc.). Corona Del Mar is also quite nice.

Check here, here, and here for some good info.

Pacific Wilderness :cool2: rents gear and also can schedule you with a Divemaster / Instructor for a private guided dive at a fee that is much less than a boat dive. Pacific Wilderness | The PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center they have a shop in L.A. county and Orange County

You should watch for deals on ferry to Avalon, Catalina..groupon ect...often around 35$ (Catalina Flyer) and can rent a set up on Catalina and make as many shore dives as you want. Usually very easy and consistently good diving too. Can rent right there where you dive (Catalina Diver Supply) or schlep gear..probably get it all done for about 100$. For extra money you can hire a guide if you feel its necessary. Usually easy to meet other divers there and find buddy. There are other ferrys and other dive shops servicing Catalina too.

Caveat: they just had tragic and highly unusual storm so the diving at Catalina Dive Park may take a bit of time to recover.

Hi there,

can anyone recommend a good dive spot (boat or shore) in SoCal near LA with full gear rental?

I shopped around and it appears I would have to pay $130 for the boat plus around $80 for full gear rental (I only have a mask :wink:)

Is there a more economical way to go for a dive trip?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Check out Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro. They rent for $40/day plus $5 for fins. they have discount for multiple days.
You would still need gloves and booties. I rented from them many times before I bought all my own gear.
As I recall they did not charge tax on this. I also rented from sports Chalet a few times. They were quite liberal with the pick up and drop off times plus they also have discount on multiple days. I believe it was $45 plus tax so around $49.
A more economical way to go may be a weekday trip. The Magician dive boat out of San Pedro has a $110 Friday with 3-tank dive.
Want something less then it's going to be shore dives.
Check out Vets park in Redondo, Palos Verdes, Laguna is a nice option.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom