New to UW Photography - lens advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I can see, Photoshop Elements 12 does not have a Camera Raw plug-in that supports the TG-3

No wonder. The TG-3 doesn't have raw file output, only JPEG. You need the Camera Raw plugin only to process raw files, not JPEGs.

IMO, LR isn't 'good'. It's a great program :) The catalog function in LR is miles ahead of the catalog function in PSE. LR does, however, demand a change in the way you 'think' PP. In LR, you don't change the original file, it's kept intact. So, when you're going to use the photo for something (from posting on the web, via displaying on a TV or computer screen, to making large prints), you generate a (throwaway) JPEG from the processing instructions in the LR catalog file and use that JPEG copy.

Not really. Adobe uses the same engine in all the Photoshop products, be they PS, PSE or LR. So, anything you can do in PS or PSE (except layers and heavy retouch), you can do just as well in LR. I use LR for PP of both raw files and JPEGs, and I don't see that I get inferior results by PP'ing my JPEGs in LR compared to doing it in PS. And it's a lot easier in LR :)

True but changes made to a RAW file are non destructive whereas changes made to a JPEG (regardless of Program) will eventually degrade the image some what - hence one of the reason for shooting in RAW.

LR is a cataloguing program with some editing functions whereas PS / PSE are editing programs with some cataloguing functions - neither is perfect and to get the best you need to use them together. Adobe will never develop the perfect program as they want to make as much money as they can from the consumer.

Karl

True but changes made to a RAW file are non destructive whereas changes made to a JPEG (regardless of Program) will eventually degrade the image some what
True, but LR doesn't change the JPEG. Neither does it change TIFF or raw files. All post-processing is just instructions in the LR catalog file, and the only thing that may be changed in the JPEG is the data in the EXIF fields. When you want to use the picture, you generate a (throwaway) copy where the processing instructions are implemented, and the original file is unchanged.

LR is a cataloguing program with some editing functions whereas PS / PSE are editing programs with some cataloguing functions
LR has 'some editing functions', yes. But it has exactly the same options for raw file processing as the ACR plugin for PS, including curves, graduated filters, vignetting and lens distortion correction. The only place where PS excels over LR is on heavy pixel editing, and layers. I have both LR and PS on my computer, and LR covers >95% of my post-processing requirements. Just like the large majority of LR users.

PS/PSE are image editing programs, made for graphic artists. LR is a fully competent digital photo processing program with a very capable catalog function, made for photographers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom