E-PL2 to OM-D-EM1 upgrade questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been quite happy with my E-PL2 in an Olympus housing for the past few years, but it's time to upgrade. I'm seriously considering the M1 as well as a new 60mm macro lens (to complement the 9-18mm I use for most diving, and the 14-42 I occasionally use).

I'll likely go with the Nauticam housing, which means new ports and gears too. I have a few questions:

1) Is the vacuum/airlock system worth the ~$200+ extra? I'm relatively careful with gear and will likely get insurance for at least the first year or two.

2) Will any of my old Olympus housing gear carry over (Zen Underwater WA port for 9-18, zoom gear)? I assume fibre optic strobe cables (using Sea&Sea YS-01 strobes) are compatible and of course UL arms/clamps.

3) My primary lenses will be an existing 9-18mm and a new 60mm macro. I'm guessing I need the 2 appropriate zoom(/focus) gears and the Nauticam 4" dome and Macro 65

4) I'm considering the 12-50 mostly for above water use (weatherproof, useful walking around range). If I go that route I'd probably sell the 14-42mm with my old body. It looks like there is some debate about the 12-50 underwater. Most of my diving is in Monterey CA with the occasional warm/clear trip thrown in. Is it worth a port for this lens too? Should I just stick with my 14-42 for now?

5) It doesn't seem like Olympus is due to update this line for at least a year or two, but is there anything else lurking I should consider before I commit? I know one can always wait for the next camera, but I'd like a macro setup before a big trip to the Philippines next summer.

I think the vacuum lock is worth it. I've got it and insurance. I'd prefer the red light on the surface to filing a claim with the insurance company any day.

Strobe cables should be the same--sea&sea connectors on both ends.

For the ports and gears, you'll definitely want the gear for the 9-18, but it's not strictly necessary for the 60 macro unless you really want to manually focus. Regarding ports, it's actually possible to use the 60 macro in the Nauticam port for the 12-50 if you're thinking about both, although that port with zoom gear is expensive.

1. Yes the vacuum is worth the money, peace of mind and never worry. Of all the "new" stuff out in the last couple of years, the vacuum system wins my award for most useful.
2. Clamps and arms and fiber optics are fine, housing gears most likely no, the port might have an adapter that you can use with it.
3.Yes and yes
4> The 12-50 is a nice lens, I use it a bit, but UW I use the 60 macro and the 45 Leica macro for the most part. If you have a survey dive then the 12-50 might be interesting but the port is expensive ($800)
5. For macro I think your choices are E-M1, E-M5 and E-M10 if you want to stick to Oly, and the GH4. The E-M10 should get some serious attention in my opinion.
Bill

Thank you both! I guess with my credit card on fire worrying about the extra $200 for vacuum system is a little odd, as long as it's not a gimmick the extra peace of mind on trips will be worth it.

I have just about talked myself into the 12-40mm for above water use and sticking with the 9-18 that I already own and new 60mm underwater. Right now I do 90+% of my diving with the 9-18 and only use the 14-42 if I expect to be doing poor mans macro or expect very poor viz. I'll skip the focus gear on the 60mm unless the lack of MF is really holding back my nudibranch portraits (;

I use the 12-50mm in the Nauticam 60mm port when I am unsure of what I may see (I have the 60mm macro lens). At 50mm with a Sub See +5 the macro is OK and at 12mm the WA is passable although pretty soft at the edges shooting through the flat port, so cropping is required, (at least for me!)

Here are two photos taken on the same dive last weekend, one at 50mm with a +5 and the other at 12mm.

_C130015.jpg_C130020.jpg

I use the 12-50mm in the Nauticam 60mm port when I am unsure of what I may see (I have the 60mm macro lens). At 50mm with a Sub See +5 the macro is OK and at 12mm the WA is passable although pretty soft at the edges shooting through the flat port, so cropping is required, (at least for me!)

Here are two photos taken on the same dive last weekend, one at 50mm with a +5 and the other at 12mm.

View attachment 199392View attachment 199393

I also use the 12 - 50mm a lot especially in the conditions that I dive which is pretty poor and I also have the 60mm macro but this only gets used in really good conditions.

Karl

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Thanks for asking it.... I am thinking the same way, but if I stay with the Oly housing for the EM-1 can I use the Zen WA-100 with it?...I want ot keep as much of what I have as possible....

To give you a different point of view. I use the 9-18 a LOT myself in the small 4" Nauticam Dome and it also fits the 60mm Macro nicely. I have NO problem shooting macro through the small 4" dome. So it makes travel MUCH easier just having one dome for 2 lenses. Gears I ONLY use the 9-18 zoom gear. The 60mm Macro has GREAT Autofocus, no need to fiddle with manual focus UW. And yeah the 12-40 f/2.8 is MUCH nicer and BETTER Quality on land than the 12-50... JMO
Here is a macro I took with the 60mm in the 4" Dome

Back
Top Bottom