The great annual Christmas tree dive - 2014 issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Every year, sometime in November/December, my club tries to pull off an annual Christmas tree dive. We meet up at our training site, get into the water, swim around a decorated Christmas tree a few times and finish off by shooting some crap over (non-alcoholic) gløgg and gingerbread cookies. It's more than a little goofy and quite fun, and everybody has a good time. At the end of the day, the tree is taken up again and disposed off in an environmentally friendly manner.

The 2014 Christmas tree dive video/slideshow:

[video=youtube;YJmMW8xWjzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJmMW8xWjzA[/video]

Our shop does one of those as well, though I've never participated (did the New Year's Day dive, wet, of course, though). If it's a wooden tree why would you have to dispose of it other than just leaving it in in the ocean?

The point of the "environmental-friendly diposal" was a little tounge-in-cheek, but not totally.

The tree is natural, the decorations aren't. We have to pull the tree up after the dive to recover the decorations anyway. So we throw the tree a suitable place on land rather than back in the sea on a trafficked site.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Oh yeah, I forgot about the artificial decorations. I was thinking of our "Pumpkin" dive when we just leave them there for a buffet for the fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom