How to connect a fibre-optic cable to a Canon WPDC21 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Gulliver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've just bought a little used G9 and new, unused DC21 housing on e-bay as a back-up for my Olympus E-PL5 and Nauticam housing. I want to be able to use one (or possibly both) of my Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes with the G9 set-up. I already have two L-type fibre-optic cables so just need the black plastic or velcro mount with the cable connector, not the whole kit. Can anybody tell me where to get this? If anyone has one for sale, I would of course be glad to buy it.

This has what you are looking for but also includes a cable you may not need. You may want to chat with their online help to see if you can get just the part. They are off until Sunday though.

This has what you are looking for but also includes a cable you may not need. You may want to chat with their online help to see if you can get just the part. They are off until Sunday though.

Thanks but what has what I'm looking for?

Thanks but what has what I'm looking for?

John, it isn't real obvious, but the word "This" is a hyperlink. I underlined it so it is more obvious.

John, it isn't real obvious, but the word "This" is a hyperlink. I underlined it so it is more obvious.

Thanks!

I've just bought a little used G9 and new, unused DC21 housing on e-bay as a back-up for my Olympus E-PL5 and Nauticam housing. I want to be able to use one (or possibly both) of my Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes with the G9 set-up. I already have two L-type fibre-optic cables so just need the black plastic or velcro mount with the cable connector, not the whole kit. Can anybody tell me where to get this? If anyone has one for sale, I would of course be glad to buy it.
This is really what you need: Sea & Sea Strobe Mask Set SS-50109 B&H Photo Video I think I have a few lying around, but the shipping charges make it a stupid idea.

Or if you are handy, you can make your own "mount" from a piece of spare plastic and some glue.

There are 2 things going on here:
1) a fibre optic cable mount
2) a mask that blocks the internal flash from splashing onto your subject and causing back scatter

The mask is very easy to DIY. Duct tape on the inside of the housing works great. Or electrical tape. You can also put it on the outside if you wish. Outside is easier, but more likely to peel off sooner.

The fibre cable mount is a little harder. But not much. I suggest you check out the body of several plastic pens in your pen drawer. Feel free to steal some pens from a local high-end hotel. Slice a 1/4 inch length from the best fit pen and glue it to the outside of the housing using crazy glue from your local 7-11. Sloppy mount is okay. As long as the fibre cable firmly fits the ring you will be fine. Just make sure the ring is close to the internal flash and not occluded by your DIY mask job.

This is not rocket science, just basic mechanical engineering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom