HP-75 or MK-25 or PZ-1 1st stage for Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bekman

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently on the look for a decent reg for my side-mount equipment. I have found these 3 1st stage regs and would like to ask a quesiton.

which of the three should i get? (i have an idea that HP-75 and MK-25 are practically the same or that is what they say)
which of the three can i get my moneys worth?(price/affordability)
Can parts for service be easily obtained here in the philippines? (where i am currently living)

Thanks!

HP-75 and MK-25 are identical, both come out of the Tabata factory in Japan. No idea where AG is getting his regs from, it is either Tabata or ODS, and as I'm not sure I would say avoid them since he is charging so much. Any particular reason you are set on the piston design? Plenty of sealed diaphragm regulators that have the 5 port turrets. Apeks DST, Hog D1/D3, Dive Rite, whole slew of others. Neither Halcyon nor Scubapro sell service kits to customers, you must be an certified technician working for an authorized shop to purchase for either brand, Scubapro might be easier to find parts kits for abroad, but you won't be able to do them yourself.

What do you currently own for first and second stages, and what brands do your local shops service? That will help direct you in the right direction, if you want a 5port piston and want parts availability to service yourself, the Hog BP2 is along the same lines as the MK25, but they will sell directly to users. The new D1 and D3 sealed diaphragms also have this luxury. The Dive Rite regulators are the same, and I do believe they have a few fairly large Philippines dealers as they are over there regularly.

http://www.aquaventurewhitetip.com/
These guys should have a decent Dive Rite inventory and are in Manila. That may very well be your best option. They also sell Apeks regulators, which while difficult to obtain service kits for yourself, they are a very high end regulator, and the Apeks Sidemount Package is very very nice, as is the nearly identical Dive Rite XT Nomad Regulator Set

I've got an H-75P on my left tank and an MK25 on my right. I bought the MK25 just over a year ago cause I kinda wanted my regs to semi-match (as much as a MK17/G250V and a MK25/R109 can match). Bought the H-75P and a Halo 2nd stage so I could dedicate the MK17 to single tank duty a few months ago... only reason I bought the Halcyon over another MK25 and a G250V was the price tag. Service kits apparently are interchangeable.

I see, i based on my choices to the people i dive with and all of them are using the same type of 1st regs. I didn't know the aquaventure sold these types of equipment since i asked before if they sold the nomad for sidemount. I think ill drop by some time soon.

HP-75 and MK-25 are identical, both come out of the Tabata factory in Japan. No idea where AG is getting his regs from, it is either Tabata or ODS, and as I'm not sure I would say avoid them since he is charging so much. Any particular reason you are set on the piston design? Plenty of sealed diaphragm regulators that have the 5 port turrets. Apeks DST, Hog D1/D3, Dive Rite, whole slew of others. Neither Halcyon nor Scubapro sell service kits to customers, you must be an certified technician working for an authorized shop to purchase for either brand, Scubapro might be easier to find parts kits for abroad, but you won't be able to do them yourself.

What do you currently own for first and second stages, and what brands do your local shops service? That will help direct you in the right direction, if you want a 5port piston and want parts availability to service yourself, the Hog BP2 is along the same lines as the MK25, but they will sell directly to users. The new D1 and D3 sealed diaphragms also have this luxury. The Dive Rite regulators are the same, and I do believe they have a few fairly large Philippines dealers as they are over there regularly.

http://www.aquaventurewhitetip.com/
These guys should have a decent Dive Rite inventory and are in Manila. That may very well be your best option. They also sell Apeks regulators, which while difficult to obtain service kits for yourself, they are a very high end regulator, and the Apeks Sidemount Package is very very nice, as is the nearly identical Dive Rite XT Nomad Regulator Set

no worries mate, you won't find the piston first stages at that store, doesn't look like they are a dealer for Tusa, Halcyon, or Scubapro, but the 5 port turrets work quite well on the diaphragm style regulators, and I prefer them because the environmental sealing is better.

Service kits are interchangeable, beauty of them coming out of the same factory :) some minor cosmetic changes, but the guts should be identical. Disclaimer, I haven't taken them apart, but a few certified reg tech buddies that have confirmed this. All of the regs I'm certified for are diaphragm.

Pacifica Dive in makati, cebu and alabang for the scuba pro gear.
Aquaventure whitetip in makati, ermita, cebu, bohol, mactan, peurto galera, boracay and dumaguete for the aqualung and apeks gear.
most other brands available here with a google search.
from your list i say go with the scuba pro for ease of service if you are out of the country.
Service kits are readily available at the above mentioned stores, its no problem purchasing them here in the philippines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom