recommended malapascua dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any operators can set their own rate on anything. I have no problem with that. But for someone who has nothing to do with Malapascua came out with a statement that charging less than P1,750.00 per dive could mean compromise in quality and safety is absolutely BS.
Perhaps I ougth to ask Andy Pope or Pedro of their opinions on minimum charge on my next visit in Sabang. But as far as I know there are plenty operators charging less than Atlantis and are doing an excellent job without sacrificing on quality, safety or anything else.

this thread is turning into a bunch of BS. There are some dive shops on the island that charge a lot less than Evolution. I don't believe that any shop that charges less than Matt is compromising quality. Don't make this guy sound like he is a cheap skate. I have been there 3 times and I didn't want to pay Matt his 40% premium so I dove with another operator. If you want to pay the extra and feel you are getting value for it then so be it, its your money to spend.

I have nothing against Evolution. I am sure they are a good dive shop. I know there are other shops on the island that do a great job too. For me I wouldn't and didn't pay their premium.

I appreciate that this is probably not, but have to admit that this feels slightly like a personal attack. I don't even know who you are and you're using my name to disparage me on the internet.

It is not "my" 40%, I own and operate a business - yet your turn of phrase seems to imply that I'm charging excessive prices which just go directly to my pocket. (This xmas(as every year for the last 3 years) evolution sponsored a xmas party for the local kids, 300 of whom were fed, played games with prizes and were given xmas gifts; our staff also benefit from good salaries, benefits, xmas gifts, and medical care when necessary)

AND there's is no way it's 40% so you should probably check your calculator. Our prices are pretty much inline with what other people charge at the shops/resorts of a similar standing. People tend to get over excited when you add up the dive price(ours is currently P1300-P1400), with equipment rental, and marine fees, and even more if you add nitrox. But the fact remains our price is P1300-P1400 per dive.

If you can get it cheaper then that's your prerogative as the customer, but don't make it out like we are ripping people off for no good reason. That is simply not the case.

I'd would be good for people to also understand what happens in Malapascua...there's a few of the key diveshops getting involved in working with the government to improve the fisheries protections, and generally for the good of the island, for the diving and the local marinelife. I take time out of running my (excessively expensive) business to attend meetings and work together with the local community to improve things for all the divers who visit here - whether or not they dive with Evolution - and there is almost always only a few diving operators present at those meetings...so please bear that in mind when you discuss dive operators. Some of them might be cheaper, but they are also operating with a completely different mindset. Evolution puts money, time and personnel into replacing moorings, creating new reef areas and generally working for the better of Malapascua. All is not even in that respect.

Although our community efforts are not something that are reflected in our prices, my point is that diveshop selection should have other factors than just price. If everyone is just competing on price then it's a losing game for all of us and all of you, and all of Malapascua.

This thread may be BS in your opinion, but the OP asked for recommendations and he got some. He is free to pick and choose. Just because you think it's BS doesn't mean it is so.

With kinds regards and best wishes for 2015.

Matt.

Is that all you can say?

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 04:23 PM ----------

AND there's is no way it's 40% so you should probably check your calculator. Our prices are pretty much inline with what other people charge at the shops/resorts of a similar standing. People tend to get over excited when you add up the dive price(ours is currently P1300-P1400), with equipment rental, and marine fees, and even more if you add nitrox. But the fact remains our price is P1300-P1400 per dive.
Marku:
Evolution does not charge anywhere near P1,750.00. So according to your calculating, it is comprising on quality ad safety!!!! Love to hear your comment.

I've only been to Malapascua once, and dove with Evolution while I was there so I can't comment on other operations.

Whatever I was paying at the time I can definitely say that it was money well spent. They had their s#it together.

I've only been to Malapascua once, and dove with Evolution while I was there so I can't comment on other operations.

Whatever I was paying at the time I can definitely say that it was money well spent. They had their s#it together.

+1

And nothing bad about places I haven't tried.

Two trips to Malapascua this year. First time in Mar and did my Sidemount with Evolution. Was very impressed with what I was taught. Went back again in a few months for my solo diver and ANDP.

Any time it's Malapascua, it WILL be Evolution for me. Don't care what anyone says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've made 3 trips to Malapascua. The first I dived with Thresher Shark Divers and will never dive with them again! I realize others have had a good experience with them, but I did not.

My other 2 trips to Malapascua I dived with Evolution (I was just there in November 2014). I have nothing but good things to say about Matt, David, and the way they operate their business. I've made 7 trips to the Philippines and have dived all over the country there, so I think I have a pretty good feel for the operators there. IMHO Evolution is one of the best-run operations in the Philippines! When next I travel to Malapascua, I will be diving with them again!

Their prices are very much in line with other comparable dive shops in Malapascua. When the difference in overhead is considered, comparing them to shops in other locations, like Nelson's, (whom I've also dived with) is not really fair!

Just my two pesos worth :coffee:

this thread is turning into a bunch of BS. There are some dive shops on the island that charge a lot less than Evolution. I don't believe that any shop that charges less than Matt is compromising quality. Don't make this guy sound like he is a cheap skate. I have been there 3 times and I didn't want to pay Matt his 40% premium so I dove with another operator. If you want to pay the extra and feel you are getting value for it then so be it, its your money to spend.

I have nothing against Evolution. I am sure they are a good dive shop. I know there are other shops on the island that do a great job too. For me I wouldn't and didn't pay their premium.

I agree that the thread is going bad but want to add something to your post as an additional consideration. I have worked on Malapascua (not for Evolution). I have been a full time professional diver for 7 years now and my first dive was 20 years ago. I have been fortunate enough to dive in a lot of places with a lot of people and in that time I have seen good and bad. If you care to consider my opinion then it is this, sometimes you get what you pay for, if that were true for Evolution then their costs should be higher. If I ever do set up a dive business then Evolution is the outfit I would aspire to be like, they do the job right.

In my time in Malapascua I got to see enough of day to day runnings of most of the ops there (2 years ago) and can say hand on heart that Evolution set a price for their product that is more than fair. I would always recommend them over any other op.

If you want to see how it should be done then book with Evolution

greetings from malapascua. looking around, the average dive price here seems to run 1200 - 1400 php per dive. some shops, little mermaid is an example, decrease the per dive cost after 4. dive prices often include gear rental, whether you use it or not. local dive shops all appear to be set back from bounty beach, or heading into the village behind white sands.

haven't heard any loud or obvious complaints about any of the shops here. i am not eager to share what little i know on this thread in particular except to say i could be happy with almost any of the shops here, but agree fully with bill22 about where NOT to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom