Can't stay warm...what am I overlooking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no reason to be cold, being cold certainly takes some of the pleasure out of diving and shivering is really unpleasant.

I do most of my diving in SE Florida in Boynton Beach and Jupiter. The water temp varies considerably from the solid mid-80s in the summer to as low as the high 60s to low 70s in the winter. There are also occasional cold updrafts that can generate cool temps even during the warmer months. I have a full 3 mm, full 5 mm, 5/3 mm hooded vest, 3 and 5 mm gloves and 3 and 5 mm booties. I mix and match them to suit the water temp, generally erring on the side of being warm. I've never really been unpleasantly warm underwater and you can always let in some water. There's little you can do to warm up underwater except increase your exertion level. As most of my diving is drift, the effort level is not very great the majority of the time. In addition, the average dive is at least an hour, very commonly somewhere between and hour and a quarter and an hour and a half.

I generally dive the 3 mm when the temp is in the 80s and the 5 mm when it is in the 70s. I always have the hooded vest with me for flexibility. I'm going to take my 7 mm down to Florida on my next visit to wear when the water temp is in the low 70s or the occasional upper 60s. It makes little difference to me what other people are wearing or what they think of what I'm wearing. Interestingly, I'm often the only or one of a few divers who are warm on the entire dive and can remain comfortable as long as I stay down. The same can be said of my boat coat, a very nice one made by TruWest. Staying warm during the surface intervals goes a long way toward staying warm while diving.

I've been working on staying warm and comfortable for 17-18 years now and have it down pretty well for myself. Tolerance to cold is very individual and you have to find out what works for you and be ready and flexible if the conditions are different than what you expected.

Good diving, Craig

How do you avoid the feeling of water being trapped in your ear canal? I couldn't hear crap with a hood on. I have one though, a lavacore.

Water is no more "trapped in your ear canal" while wearing a hood than while not. If anything, a hood helps keep the 75% of the planet that is water OUT of your ear.

Are you wearing no gloves, or tropical gloves? I have found "warm hands, warm rest of me" is true for me.

Cheapskate (meaning "my") idea: if you're using trop gloves, slip some Playtex dishwashing gloves on under them. Does it make a difference? then you should consider colder-temp gloves.

I have found "warm hands, warm rest of me" is true for me.

Normally, it's the other way around. 'Warm rest of me, warm hands (and feet)'.

If your core is cold, your body will restrict circulation to the extremities, because they are your most disposable body parts, and they'll get cold. If your core is on the warm side, your body will increase circulation to your skin and your extremities, warming up your hands, fingers, feet and toes. It's amazing how little insulation you can have on your feet and hands and still be comfortable as long as your core (and neck/head) is cozy warm.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I use bright mechanix gloves honestly so students/DSD people/open water students etc can easily identify me

I surprised the no one mentioned getting a battery powered shirt to wear under your wetsuit. My wife was always cold too, until she got her heated shirt from Heated Wetsuits | Less Wetsuit... More Warmth!. It was the best $499 she ever spent for diving.

$500 is a lot of neoprene and accessories. I find Henderson Thermoprene warm, relatively durable, and not very expensive. If I also needed a heated shirt, I think I would also go to diving dry

I don't usually dive with gloves when I'm warm, but do if it's cold, I also find it to help

I surprised the no one mentioned getting a battery powered shirt to wear under your wetsuit. My wife was always cold too, until she got her heated shirt from Heated Wetsuits | Less Wetsuit... More Warmth!. It was the best $499 she ever spent for diving.
This is incredibly appealing to me for some reason. Does she find that it warms up her legs as well by virtue of being warm at the core? By the time I buy a good new hooded vest and stuff I feel like I'm 1/3 or so towards this price. How is the battery life? I see about 150 minutes of use but I assume that's on the low setting. Most of my dives are in about 50ft or less of water (occasionally the 115ft wreck) so I last about 60-80 minutes on a dive depending on the situation (current etc). Two dives per day usually. Do I need extra batteries or does it come with a car charger (or USB that can plug into a charger) for my surface interval?

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 06:51 AM ----------

$500 is a lot of neoprene and accessories. I find Henderson Thermoprene warm, relatively durable, and not very expensive. If I also needed a heated shirt, I think I would also go to diving dry

I don't usually dive with gloves when I'm warm, but do if it's cold, I also find it to help
I wouldn't disagree with your neoprene statement usually but as it stands I'm already putting a lavacore neoprene/softskin undershirt on anyhow. And if you're talking about adding a hood or vest I don't see much difference. That lavacore is already a pain in my butt when it's wet and I'm not (suiting up after my first dive)

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 06:52 AM ----------

Are you wearing no gloves, or tropical gloves? I have found "warm hands, warm rest of me" is true for me.

Cheapskate (meaning "my") idea: if you're using trop gloves, slip some Playtex dishwashing gloves on under them. Does it make a difference? then you should consider colder-temp gloves.
I'm usually the opposite. My hands are usually fine even when cold. It's mostly my core/thighs

My wife can usually do a 2 tank morning dive (about 1 hour each) with the 1 set of batteries (she usually runs it on low or med) and recharge during lunch and by the afternoon the batteries are charged. The shirt works on the principle of warming your core and that should keep you warm, she hasn't mentioned her legs being cold when she uses her heated shirt. I know it is kind of expensive, but if it keeps you warm and able to enjoy the dive it is worth it (at least to her)....

It's a little expensive but if I'm not warm and I'm just miserable all day diving then what's the point

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 07:19 AM ----------

Where does the battery pack and stuff sit? Like by her neck? Or does it run some other way

Back
Top Bottom