Can't stay warm...what am I overlooking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuit is the way to go. Easier to dive (gaz go out automaticly, ....). You will be warm and comfy. I suggest looking at breavable drysuit like bare sb or DUI 30/30. These will be better when you are on the surface before and after the dive. I use to get cold, but now diving my 30/30, every dive is a fun dive.

It's a little expensive but if I'm not warm and I'm just miserable all day diving then what's the point

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 07:19 AM ----------

Where does the battery pack and stuff sit? Like by her neck? Or does it run some other way

There are 2 batteries 1 under each arm pit.

Ok so it comes with those two batteries but together they account for about 1.5-2.5 hrs of run time or each one does? I figure together. I bought a car charger too so hopefully that will beef up the time if I just charge between dives like 30 min each battery

Sorry, am travelling and didn't read them all, but I agree the obvious thing is a drysuit with whatever you need underneath to keep warm. It does seem odd that you are the only one in a group that's so cold, but everyone is different regarding cold and heat. I don't think you would "get used to" a certain wetsuit thickness and then have to add more (like a drug addict needing bigger doses). I find that what I use for this and that temperatures stays constant over the years. You may want to ask your doctor about why you are hot on land and the only one cold in water.

I think sometimes the simplest and most obvious solution is best... I.e, try a hood. Lavacore makes shirts and vests with hoods, as well as a separate hood piece. As long as your wetsuit is fitting properly, I'd wager a good hood will make a world of difference... And the lavacore hoods are way less constricting than traditional neoprene...

I agree with all about the hood. I always wear one--in warmer water just to keep water from going deep in my ears. In 65F water I'll be in my shorty at times, but still with my 7 mil hood (looks funny, I guess). On my one tropical trip I just used a swim cap. I have had very cold hands at times and occasionally cold feet if it's below 40F. But never really a cold head.

A lot of replies here, so I'll assume what I have to say has already been said...so let me instead add my vote to these thoughts:

1. Hood - I hated them at first too, but remember that when you get a new one it takes a little while for it to stretch out and feel comfortable. Check out the merino lined hood by pinnacle, it's warm and comfy.

2. Dry suit. If you aren't diving for more than about an hour, you don't reply NEED a p-valve. So skip that if you hate the idea, and maybe get a relief zipper intelligently placed for before and after the dive if you want to make it easier. Also, look at pinnacle's black ice dry suit or a custom neoprene drysuit from seaskin (both have pockets by the way). You'll find that they dive more like a wetsuit because they fit more close to your body than other drysuits, so you'll still feel the same in the water, just warmer.

3. Don't just try to tough it out, so many things work better when your warm, from reduced chance of dcs to better sac rate.

4. Whoever told you that you're going to keep getting cold even with more protection is making zero sense. Another nice thing about going dry is you can add warmer undergarments to adjust to the water or how you're feeling that day, and also, the breeze topside will never bite you the way it will your wet friends.

5. Body oils... When you dive wet a lot, your bodies oils become depleted and your skin feels cold faster. I wonder if eating more oils or wearing lotions might help this, I dunno, I gave up and bought a drysuit before I could figure it out.

Good luck!

Don't just try to tough it out, so many things work better when your warm, from reduced chance of dcs to better sac rate.
It's also safer.

I once saw a diver surfacing and trying to climb ashore after a dive with insufficient protection (he used only thin sports underwear under a shell drysuit, in Nordic water). He needed help to get on land, he needed help to get out of his kit, and he could barely use his hands. If he had had some kind of a situation in that condition, things could easily have gotten nasty indeed.

Toasty warm = comfortable, and comfortable = safe.

Back when I dove wet, I also had a huge problem when the wind would hit me on the boat. THESE parkas are fabulous -- windproof, and snuggly warm inside. I was introduced to them by Aldora, where they wrap their divers up in them as they come out of the water. I could have kissed the guides . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom