Sun proofing face underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found Bullfrog sunscreen works best for me. I apply once in the morning, again at lunch and I am good for the day. I usually come back from a week long liveaboard paler than when I arrive. I also wear a Coolibar hat all of the time. I even jump in the water with it, clip it off under water and put it back on during my safety stop. I have pasted a link to something that might work for you on windy boat rides.

Ultra Sport Hat: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

As goofy as it sounds I was diving Northern British Columbia and our captain suggested wearing your hood with your neck in the face hole to provide a visor to keep rain/snow/wind off of your exposed face. We tried it and it works great - all you need is a hood ... It would do the same for sun as it creates quite a tunnel effect

I burn really easily and freedive with a hood and neoprene ski mask which I cut to fit my snorkel into - they are available pretty cheaply all over the net. I also tried a zinc stick sun cream which was the only thing sufficiently waterproof to cope with diving - everything else left me sunburnt :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of a hood designed to cover most of the face except mask area and lips. I saw some hoods with a viser, does anyone have any experience with these hoods?
There actually is a neoprene diving hood like this. It is called an ice hood and supposed to be pulled on top of a regular hood. However, in warm waters, you could use it alone. I covers everything except a small hole for the regulator and a larger one for the mask.

Products - Waterproof

I wear this when I dive and especially when I teach.

81XiupXuCWL._SL1500_.jpg

Dakine Surf Hat

It has a bill, so it doesn't flop in front of the mask. My face still gets just a tad toasty, but not like before. Mind you, when I'm teaching in the pool, I spend a LOT of time at the surface explaining concepts to students. I'm not the average diver in that regard. It stops my face and especially my ears from getting blistered by the hot Key Largo sun.​

I wear this when I dive and especially when I teach.

This looks perfect for me. Do you have trouble with it floating or filling with air? Does the bill flop over your eyes when it is wet? Does it come in Packer green or gold?

It does fill with air a bit, but it doesn't float thanks to the chin strap. Like I said, the bill keeps it from flopping in your face. I have only found it in black and a grey which is more of a tan.

I have found Bullfrog sunscreen works best for me. I apply once in the morning, again at lunch and I am good for the day. I usually come back from a week long liveaboard paler than when I arrive. I also wear a Coolibar hat all of the time. I even jump in the water with it, clip it off under water and put it back on during my safety stop. I have pasted a link to something that might work for you on windy boat rides.

Ultra Sport Hat: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

Plus one for the Colibar. It also is colrine resistant, washable and floats. I too have fair skin and don't go out without mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom