Utila Dive Operations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you do decide on the palms you'll be about 10 min walk from the beginning of town. coral view is the closest dive company (5 mins walk) and they are very good.
the lighthouse is right on the ocean, 5 mins walk from altons and utila dive center, both good dive companies.

Highly recommend the Lighthouse both in quality and location.

I've contacted the folks who run the Palms condo. They seem very reasonably priced and they recommend diving with either Coral view or Ecomarine.

So question: if I do The Palms, laurench has given the thumbs up for Coral view, but how far away from town is it?
Aren't there golf carts we could rent to buzz into town for some adult beverages and a bit of dancing after the days dives? OH yeah and to probably to EAT something too! LOL

Or, if I try The Lighthouse what dive op to use then? Alton? could I and possibly up to 3 other friends all room together?

I will have at least one friend with me and possibly 2 or 3 more and we would all like to rent a place together. That is why I'm leaning towards the condo.

Another question...what are the water temps usually in March? I get cold very easily. If water temps are below 80-81 degrees I usually need at least a 5 mil. full wet suit!

I've contacted the folks who run the Palms condo. They seem very reasonably priced and they recommend diving with either Coral view or Ecomarine.

So question: if I do The Palms, laurench has given the thumbs up for Coral view, but how far away from town is it?
Aren't there golf carts we could rent to buzz into town for some adult beverages and a bit of dancing after the days dives? OH yeah and to probably to EAT something too! LOL

Or, if I try The Lighthouse what dive op to use then? Alton? could I and possibly up to 3 other friends all room together?

I will have at least one friend with me and possibly 2 or 3 more and we would all like to rent a place together. That is why I'm leaning towards the condo.

Another question...what are the water temps usually in March? I get cold very easily. If water temps are below 80-81 degrees I usually need at least a 5 mil. full wet suit!

For Lighthouse the closest dive ops are Altons and UDC. I think the biggest room for Lighthouse would hold three people (one double bed + one twin bed). If you want a room for 4 people, I don't think Lighthouse will cut it.

Hell I sleep in a king sized bed by myself as it is now. Don't want to share a small double bed, especially not with my G/F !

the palms are a 5 minute walk from coral view and a 10 minute walk from the beginning of town and eco-marine. eco-marine is next to rehab (a popular bar and eatery) and across the street from skid row (one of my favorite bars and eateries, although it doesn't look like much). from there its a further 5-10 min walk to the center of town and popular bars and eateries such as tranquilla and the foo king wok.
golf carts can be rented if you think 5-20 minutes of walking in each direction is too much
surface temps in march are 81-82f

laurench~ thanks for the info - If I can't walk for 5-20 min. then that would be pretty pathetic! Unless of course I have spent a bit too much time at your favorite watering hole and can't find my way back! LOL

So surface temps are low 80's- what are the water temps?

I do not remember the exact water temp as I would have to look into my logbook but I was diving in a 3mm and could have gotten away with a shorty. We are talking April now. I dont suspect March would be cooler. If you are diving with Altons, the best would be to shoot them an email and get the exact temperatures. If you go to Altons, tell them to take you to a dive site called Airport Caves. That was one of my favorite dives. Have a nice trip.

laurench~ thanks for the info - If I can't walk for 5-20 min. then that would be pretty pathetic! Unless of course I have spent a bit too much time at your favorite watering hole and can't find my way back! LOL

So surface temps are low 80's- what are the water temps?

you can always take a tuk tuk taxi home from the bars at night ! they shouldn't be more than a dollar or two per person, even from the most distant bars, much much cheaper than renting a golf cart.

when i said surface i was talking the surface water temp, below the surface will depend on how deep you go !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom