Full service treatment - Is that normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends greatly on the dive op as said. First time I went to GC(last year) they loaded my gear and also carried it to the boat. Threw me for a loop when he said "That's what I get paid for mate." I am going again in may and because I had such a great experience with them I have booked a private charter with the same dive op and asked for the same Capt and DM. They said no problem. Now if you wanted to set up your own gear then they would let you without issue. It is just an extra service provided.

When Sandra and I went to Fji several years back, we went with a Group of very long time Florida divers...a club....You could say that each of these 15 divers in that club, would dive at a higher level of skill and fitness than the average dive instructor....( which sadly, does not really mean that much :) )
Think of this as the normal skill and fitness to dive level, of the TYPICAL "regulars" that go out on most of the charter boats of Palm Beach County...Most of these divers in the club lived and dived off of Tampa and the Gulf Coast, but also did a great deal of diving off of Fort lauderdale and Palm Beach.

So the boat from Beqa Lagoon Resort, caters to a market mixed mostly of tourist divers from Asia and New Zealand, and apparently this mix is NOT well skilled, and this market DOES like being helped out of the water.
The crew on the boat first realized we were different, when each of us asked that they NOT touch our gear prior to getting in the water....Next, they were amazed at how a group of 17 divers would get into the water like a big group of crazed penguins :)...and in seconds all be off the boat and gone.....
And next, when the dive masters realized that this group could match their air consumption /sac rate easily....and then on surfacing, none of our group would allow the crew to remove our gear...we all insisted on climbing up the ladder as we always do in Florida dives, and walking to our seat with our gear still on. Let's just say, this was not open to discussion. If they wanted us at the resort, they would let us dive this way....

By day two, the boat crew began enjoying what they saw as a vacation, where all they had to do was have fun every day, and take us to the places they enjoyed diving the most. They fully embraced the logic we asked for, and most of this resulted from us actually demonstrating how we dive, and proving to them that no help was NEEDED.

If you are an advanced diver, I think this is your right to demand this. *Note..You may need to PROVE YOURSELF.....Worst case scenario, if you don't like the way one boat attempts to control you, you can always cancel any further use of that boat.
I have a great many friends that are Florida dive boat captains....None of my actions would ever go against the grain to what they think is important on a boat....but none of them cater to divers without the requisite skill level to actually dive by themselves :)

My only issue I've had with boat ops and gear is having them mess with my valve just before I jump in. I understand that they think they're helping, but shouldn't get all shirty if I ask them to leave the valve alone. If I jump in with my air off, (pretty damned unlikely since I just filled my BC, I'll turn it on pretty quick), or worst case, get my buddy to do it. At 71, it's harder to reach that damn valve, but I can and do practice just that maneuver in the pool.
I sure won't forget again in a hurry if I do it once! :dork2:

As for the full service, oh yeah, love it, will pay for it. I'm a lazy old coot!

I can handle my own gear if need to and prefer to set up myself. If they set it up I will double check afterwards. But I have two bad 69 year old rotator cuffs. I let the crew know this at the start of a dive trip. Help getting in an out of the BCD (hardest thing all day) or carrying heavier gear is much appreciated and rewarded with a tip after the dive.

As I said, you are lucky, I hope that your luck continues.

I am very sorry - I ran my fingers before my brain. I participate in SUDS fundraisers every year and think people should keep diving as long as they possibly can - even if they have to have someone wheel their gear into the water & help them get into it. I let being P1$$ed at the guy who turned off my valve and rerouted my strap get in the way of being fair & realistic. Once again I am sorry. I hope you can dive for many years to come.

I am very sorry - I ran my fingers before my brain. I participate in SUDS fundraisers every year and think people should keep diving as long as they possibly can - even if they have to have someone wheel their gear into the water & help them get into it. I let being P1$$ed at the guy who turned off my valve and rerouted my strap get in the way of being fair & realistic. Once again I am sorry. I hope you can dive for many years to come.

Thank you, I hope that you can too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom