Improvised bungee mount for my Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perfect. I'm pretty non-handy. I'm assuming this is easy to do?

Ive always had good luck finding bungee at sporting/camping/climbing stores although in the end I just bought a bulk roll much cheaper in the long run as I use bungee for many things. It certainly looks pretty straightforward and easy to do. Good luck.

Surgical Tubing & Bungee Cord - Dive Gear Express

I used the ideas posted before on how to make a bungee mount for the Sol. My criteria were:

1. I did not want to alter the computer or my new strap, so I would not burn my bridges and be able to return to the way it was
2. redundancy, so if one bungee failed, or one pin slipped out the computer would not fall off

I removed the strap, and used a 5/32 automotive tubing to act as a spacer. Ran the bungee under the pins like the Zulu straps, and around the battery holder. The space between the battery holder and the computer offers a handy tying point. I tied a single sqaure knot. I kept the size of the tubing close to the strap size, so I had to compress the tubing to allow the bungee to pass. The effect was to offer friction with the bungee, so if the knot were to come undone the computer would not slip off.

To adjust the loops I undo the square knot, adjust the loops and redo the knot.
Adam

View attachment 105856View attachment 105857View attachment 105858View attachment 105859

I used a similar method when the strap broke on my Luna, but I could never get it to feel comfortable. Eventually I had a replacement strap put back on, but also added a smaller bungee on one end that wraps around my wrist for a little extra security.

I used a similar method when the strap broke on my Luna, but I could never get it to feel comfortable. Eventually I had a replacement strap put back on, but also added a smaller bungee on one end that wraps around my wrist for a little extra security.

Perhaps you're trying to wear it on the wrist and it's too big there. I find it works well on the mid-forearm (right) where the size matches well my arm. Since I posted the bungee mount above I made some small changes: I changed to all plastic cord locks I found at REI, and instead of knots I use the smallest zip ties. That makes a compact mount with no metal springs. I'll post a photo of the latest version when I get home.

Perhaps you're trying to wear it on the wrist and it's too big there. I find it works well on the mid-forearm (right) where the size matches well my arm. Since I posted the bungee mount above I made some small changes: I changed to all plastic cord locks I found at REI, and instead of knots I use the smallest zip ties. That makes a compact mount with no metal springs. I'll post a photo of the latest version when I get home.

I wear mine up on the mid-forearm as well. Perhaps it was just something about the particular characteristics of the product I was using, but it just never felt comfortable. I had also tried a tactical style replacement strap with a velcro closure, which was very secure, but was even more uncomfortable. Either way it was always a distraction.

The setup I have now works great, and if the strap ever breaks again I'm hopefully still covered with the wrist bungee so I don't lose it. Personlly I think they just need to redesign the strap. There have just been way too many compaints about failures. Glad to hear you were able to find a solution that works for you!

Latest version photos

Here is my latest version with all plastic cord locks and zip ties.

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

Hatul or other posters, has there been any updates to the procedure? I'm going to take my wrist strap off too, in a drysuit diver, I'm fed up with the wrist strap! It's a PITA!

Also, how do you remove those little pins that hold the strap on? I tried doing it with a heavy gauge paperclip, however it just bent the paperclip, pin didn't budge at all.

Thankyou!

The pin is a tight press fit. I think I used a nail of the right diameter to push it through. I doubt the paperclip will have enough strength.

The pin is a tight press fit. I think I used a nail of the right diameter to push it through. I doubt the paperclip will have enough strength.

Thanks Randy.... I got it with a flat head screw!! Seems to work well! Glad I didn't have to cut that strap!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom