POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Useless divers matrix, yes im old. Did everything i needed, over 20 years old and still working

Orca Edge and I still have it. It works but I don't dive it, couldn't get it fixed if something happened. I do also have an Orca Marathon, it still works and great display.

Orca Edge as well. Not much choice back when I bought it. Still have it and it works, but impractical for today's diving (size and air only). Replaced with with an Orca Pilot, then Pilot EANs. Dove with the Pilot EANs until I bought a Petrel late last year.

Yes, I suppose I could have asked that, but wouldn't that have been rather boring (and not unlike many MANY other threads on here)? I'm more interested in people's experiences and the decisions they made. There must have been a reason why people thought certain things would work better and then perhaps realized they were not. I like to gain those insights by asking people about what they bought and why they would or wouldn't repeat that purchase. Just a personal preference I suppose.

And besides, it opens the door to people teaching me all sorts of other things I hadn't considered. :)

Oh ok!
Started with this: USN Dive Tables
Then made a huge leap with this: BENDOpicturePAGE
Most dive computers made in the last 10 years are much better.

Suunto Favor not a chance to buy it again. The interface was bad, the battery compartment design was designed for failure and the dive log software was next to useless.

If both my Uwatec Aladin Pro/Nitrox(first bought in 1996) pack up today. I will get either Sunnto Zoop or Cressi Leonardo together with a Uwatec/Scubapro BT.
I only need a computer to tell me the eclipsed time, ndl and max depth, just like the Aladin and of course simple log book. Nitrox compatible? Not at extra cost.

Aqua Lung Datascan (it was air integrated also) in 1987. There weren't many choices then but it was the best computer for me at that time. No problems with it as far as I can remember.

1991 Uwatec Aladin Pro with a battery that is usable changeable. Still works today and in fact have used as a back up on overseas trips when only diving air. If it was still the 1990s, yes, would have still bought again. Nowadays far better computers around of course at much cheaper prices (I paid about AUS$700 for it new, a huge amount).

Pro Plus 2 as I am visually limited (glasses). I like that it has the biggest display, is air integrated (although the "special (expensive) HP hoses don't last long), and I like that I can read it easily and can do Nitrox. Battery life is very good, did about 200 dives on the first battery. I still use my PP2 today when recreational diving. Bought a Liquivision as a second PC (and for tech diving) which I hated totally. Sold it and bought a petrel and love it (wife has one too after trying the liquivision and hating it too, but she still uses her PP2 for recreational diving).

What I dislike about the PP2 is the PC connector, why they didn't copy the same as in the VEO-250 I don't know, its simple and reliable, the PP2 has to be held in by hand through the process and often takes a few goes before it reads. I hope they fixed this in the PP3, but I wont hold my breath.

My first was a Suunto Cobra....probably would not recommend the latest version of this product today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom