POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uwatec Aladin Pro. Still using it in my rental gear 25 years later. My current personal computer is (surprise, surprise) a Uwatec. Galileo SOL. Love it.

My son and I got Suunto Zoops in out Gear package. Purchase again? NO.

Sold mine back to Dive shop with less then 10 dives for a Cobalt 2. My Eyes just could not see it. I love it, but I really think they need a massive upgrade to the software. The Cobalt could do so much more.

Purchased my Daughter a Geo 2 for her first. She loves it.

If I started all over again today, I probably buy 3 Geo 2s.

Personally I'd like to go with something mid-range, not top of the line yet (as I will have no appreciation for it), but will allow me some growth. I plan to do local recreational dives and perhaps some travel diving, but not much more than that now. Who knows, maybe I'll be sucking nitrox by next year. Hopefully the computer I choose can accommodate that without too many other bells and whistles.

Had a leonardo for a couple of years, no regrets so far. 50% nitrox, user-replaceable battery, gauge mode to 120m. The screen is far from ideal, but the price was under $200 (plus a $80 uplink kit). If I had a $1000 to drop on my 1st computer I'd go for a bright colourful oled screen, but otherwise I'd buy a leonardo again.

my first was a veo 100. no, i wouldn't get that again. it was an air-only puck. my second was the veo ?200 ?250. the nitrox version of the air only puck. no, i wouldn't get that again. my third was a nitek plus. wore it as a watch for years, 2 gasses, would buy it as a first computer for someone any day except not made anymore. :( loved it. really.

currently two predators. i got serious.

I think Marci and I were both diving the NiTek plus at the same time. Made for DiveRite by Seiko, it was a great little computer and very forgiving. I'd buy again in a minute for my kids or some one starting out. Number two was the Vr3HD, which I selected over the X1. My eyesight became a challenge with that screen and I quit diving computers for a couple of years, then found the Petrel, which I really like.

It was a Suunto SME-ML. Worked great, still does.
Moved on to the Suunto Solution which is still my favorite computer.
Never had an Edge but still have a Skinny Dipper which is a great computer with really big display (just be careful not to turn it off by mistake).
Have a soft spot for the Source.
Don't like the more modern Suunto's as they seen to have a built in pressure sensor self destruct for about a week after the warranty runs out.

First was a VEO 180NX loved that computer, simple one button interface and did all I needed it to do plus it had gauge mode. I "upgraded to a VEO 3.0, hated the user interface I thought three buttons would be great but it just made it more complicated. Now I have a Aladin 2G, never use the second gas mode as all my deco dives are planned on v planner. I do however love the DSS bungee mount for the 2G. Scubapro actually did something I thought was great by using infrared data transmission, no $100 proprietary download cable just use any IRDA interface "I purchased mine off Amazon for $5. I wish I still had the VEO, one button and only what you need. If I could justify another computer I would purchase one as a back up Oceanic Veo 180 Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer at LeisurePro. For $160 you can't go wrong, dive for a few years or until you need something more and by then there will be many more new computers to choose from.

Hi everyone!

1. What was your first dive computer? (brand/model)
2. Would you have bought it again as your first?

Cathy

1. Aladin prime now called a subgear XP-10 (Slightly upgraded to XP-3G or XP-H)
2. Yes. I lost my original last spring and had my shop get me another (actually the 3G).

Big enough to be able to see the numbers well, simple enough to use. Able to auto-turn on. And probably one the best features is the infra-red dongle to allowing it to download to your divelog is only $20 from amazon (I think it is that one)

And it doesn't cost all that much, somewhere around 350-375.

Back
Top Bottom