Exposure protection diving key Largo wrecks this time of the year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading to Key Largo for three tec lite dives (up to 1 hr running time) this weekend on Duane and Spiegel Grove. I am debating if i shall bother to pack my drysuit/undergarments or my full 3 mil will do the work. I am probably average in handling temps; this will be my first time for tec dives at the keys this time of the year, not sure how cold it is compared to other years. Any advice? Thanks!

That's such a subjective question. Everyone is different in their sensitivity to cold. The current water temperature is approx. 77 degrees. For me, a 3 mil would be fine, but I'm a hormonal old lady :wink:

Thanks, this helps. I guess I'll just throw into a bag a hooded vest. I just didn't want to be really off; I am usually not getting colder than other divers on the boat but don't have a clue what people dive these days. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 1 hr run time on a longer dive is a lot more exposure than the standard air dip.

wore a 5MM suit with a 3/5MM hooded vest last week on the bibb/duane and got a little chilled. the week before I wore a 7MM and felt comfy. hopefully diving the SG or duane tomorrow, back to the 7MM. all were 60 minute dives, water temp 76/77F. I know many of the local upper keys dive masters and tech divers are wearing dry suits,,,,,,air temps forecasted to be a bit below normal tomorrow thru monday. i'd rather be on the warm side during multiple 1 hour+ dives than be chilled,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Thanks to all for your replies, much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I were you and had a drysuit I would use it. I would do a tec dive in a 5mm + hooded vest in the middle of summer.

+1 for diving dry. If you've got it, and it won't cost you too much for an extra check-in bag, bring it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom