bacon and breakfast sausage patties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you want american brand oj, then just stay home!

food products on boanire can be dutch, central american, spanish or good old fashion crap from the us of a. YMMV depending upon the day of the week.

Bonaire is slightly more multi cultural than most of america. if has a wide selection of high quality food and restaurants. you will not go hungry.

Thank you for all your responses..... We enjoy a hearty breakfast before we start our days. We do enjoy the Dutch brands but was wondering Dutch or American.....if they carry those meats. Any real orange juice would be fine as long as it was real juice...

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 12:04 AM ----------

Simple question.....simple answer...

There is OJ and I believe they have USA Brand, but we buy the all natural in the box, its really delicious. We have also found Turkey Sausage( I dont think it was the patty type), Turkey Bacon at VDT as well as the Zung Kung supermarkets.
Enjoy your trip!!!!!

Van den Tweel is an upscale supermarket, with beautiful imported produce and meats, charcuterie at the deli counter, fresh bread, and yes, even frozen foods. We tend to buy bulk foods for sandwiches, like ham, salami, cheese, etc., but I did take a peek into a small freezer/refrigerator case that held American items. They were expensive (for Bonaire), and the selection was very limited--I did see American packaged bacon (forgot which brand) and, I think, Kraft cheese. This stuff is of no interest to me, but to each his own tastes. There's something to be said for comfort foods from "home," wherever one's home might be.

Ugh to the processed OJ and sausages.

There is a little stand in town by the dock where the boats from Venezuela sell fresh fruits and vegetables including oranges.

Interesting how some people travel to a foreign country and expect things to be exactly like home. Agree with Stoo and Geffenk. Bonaire is a crossroads of Holland, South America and Caribbean. Try the local foods and culture. The cheeses and fresh breads in the groceries are incredible. A lot of the food in the restaurants is true fusion cuisine. Go native for a week or two. It will be fun, tasty and cheaper than looking for American products. Jimmy Dean can wait until you get home.

Ugh to the processed OJ and sausages.

There is a little stand in town by the dock where the boats from Venezuela sell fresh fruits and vegetables including oranges.

Interesting how some people travel to a foreign country and expect things to be exactly like home. Agree with Stoo and Geffenk. Bonaire is a crossroads of Holland, South America and Caribbean. Try the local foods and culture. The cheeses and fresh breads in the groceries are incredible. A lot of the food in the restaurants is true fusion cuisine. Go native for a week or two. It will be fun, tasty and cheaper than looking for American products. Jimmy Dean can wait until you get home.

My thinking is similar when I'm traveling abroad, but on the other hand, I do understand that people get comfort out of familiar foods from home, and to some people that is important. There are people who may not "expect things to be exactly like home," but they nonetheless seek out some comfort foods from home. If someone's breakfast ritual involves bacon and sausage, good for them. I can totally understand that and would never try to dissuade them from doing that.

Van den Tweel is not exactly some backwater market, and the vast majority of what they sell are foods that would be familiar to any North American. Whether one can find a particular brand is another story. I'm pretty sure I saw some Oscar Mayer stuff in that refrigerator case. I have no idea why someone would choose that when the deli counter will slice you some mortadella from Europe, but to each his own.

Part of the fun is buying stuff and not really knowing for sure what it is.

When I was a young starving student we went to this salvage store that sold cans with no label - $.05

it was always an eating adventure.

As of this afternoon, VdT has Gwaltney's bacon, did not see American-style sausage. Myriad OJ, no US.

As of this afternoon, VdT has Gwaltney's bacon, did not see American-style sausage. Myriad OJ, no US.

Well done, rmorgan.

Case closed?

Back
Top Bottom