Line from SMB unravelling in pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My SMB line unravels even though it's clipped off in my pocket.
It is inconvenient to say the least when I want to remove it and shoot the bag, and the line is all over the place.
Has anyone else encountered this?

When you say SMB line, are you referring to the spool? Could it have too much line or not be wound tightly? How are you clipping it?

There is a technique to winding the line and clipping it off. (Not really a secret, just the correct way to do it)

Check on YouTube...there must be a dozen or two videos on how to roll up a reel/spool.

Whitesands don't worry it has happen to a lot of us. Before I found the "correct" way to secure the line I once had one unreel about 50 feet all over a wreck while I was diving. Talk about embarrassing; it is like walking out of the bathroom with TP trailing behind you. ::facepalm:

Clip the line and the spool at the same time.

Clip the line and the spool at the same time.

That's what I do, and the line unravels.

I was taught a method to clip off by my previous instructor that will not unravel. Basically:
1. Tie a 3/4 foot long loop in the end of the string
2. Tie a small knot at the top of this big loop.
3. Tie a small knot at the side of this big loop.
4. Fit loop into metal ring of SMB and over the spool. This secures it to the metal ring on the SMB.
5. Pull out small knot at top of big loop, and pull line through the hole in the side of the spool. (#3 serves as a marker of which hole to use).
6. Clip double ender to loop and wrap string around itself and it's gate, then clip off to the metal ring (not the spool) on the SMB.

Using this method, it has never comes loose. I used to clip the SMB on my butt D-ring and it has never come loose using this method.
Downside is using this method requires a longer time and more fumbling to undo when you want to shoot the bag.

I was wondering if there was a better/simpler/faster way to do it, so it does not come off, but is fast to deploy.

There is a lot of string on my spool (30m), I don't know if that has anything to do with it coming loose all the time if not secured with the above method.

Any insight on this method? I already posted it somewhere else. I've been told it's "not DIR", though I don't see the issue with it.
It'll take a bit of adapting if you want to keep the smb on the line, but it gives an idea of how to tie around the snap.
Again, it's not mine.

[video=youtube;QF2was0HD3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF2was0HD3g[/video]

That's a version of the usual cave way of doing the spools. In a cave you might have 3 or 4 spools hanging out your back, so it makes sense to have an absolutely foolproof system of storing them without fearing them coming undone. Any method which does not pass the line through one of the spool holes will at some point unwind given the right situation. There is no way to adapt the cave spool method to an SMB (and by this I mean keeping the smb attached all the time). To use a method like this one you will need to undo the spool and attach the SMB at depth.

There are better methods than others though, even while keeping the SMB attached to the line; keep a small loop at the end of the big loop. This helps you pull the line tighter and it is an attachment point for the double ender. Now, if you ask me, probably the best way to keep your line from unwinding when using pockets, as stupid as it sounds, is to make the bungee on the pockets LONG. It is short bungees that usually make you fiddle with stuff in restricted space and ends up twisting stuff around and making things bad. Make sure the bungee on the pocket is long loops, so you can freely take everything out without having stuff pulling other stuff in unwanted ways.

dude, its all just enough tension on the line. make sure u give it a nice pull before you clip it.

and, as stated before - clip spool and line toghether :)

saw this happening alot when people just don't clip it with enough tension, no "special magical" way of doing this.

Matan.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom