Aquarium Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad he was rescued! I wonder if he was an employee/volunteer or a guest who paid to dive there.

The article said he was on an adventure dive, what an adventure.

Bob

Diver saved in Two Oceans aquarium tank - Western Cape | IOL News | IOL.co.za
ape Town - A 63-year-old man suffered a heart attack and nearly drowned in one of the tanks at the Two Oceans Aquarium on Monday. National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) rescuers from the Table Bay branch were summoned to the Two Ocean Aquarium in Waterfront at around 2pm.
NSRI spokesman Craig Lambinon said the man was from Joburg.
Lambinon said he was rescued by Two Ocean Aquarium divers and rushed to hospital.
“He is in a serious condition, suffering a myocardial infarction (heart attack) which had reportedly occurred while diving on an adventure dive.”

Glad he was rescued ! I would like to know what depth they were at ? We used to do some dives at another freshwater Aquarium locally but it was only about 3 m deep , so if anything had to go wrong , you had no problems at all of getting out of the tank ...the only worrying factor was the size of some of the catfish in the tank...

This is my local Aquarium Diving . There are two dive options available. Diving in the predator exhibit max 8m and kelp forest similar depth. I know the instructor as well as one of their regular DM's very well. I will probably see them tomorrow night to ask what happenened. I would presume that this dive was in the shark tank as this is the most common. these dives are around 25min and closely supervised by the DM. you drop down hugging a wall then leopard crawl round the tank twice.

Hope there were not too many children present during this indecent.

I am still chewing on the fact that they had to call the National Sea Rescue Institute (equivalent of the U.S. coast guard) to assist getting the individual out of the fish tank and to a hospital. If ever there is a spot where the DM can perform a rescue, this is it.

I am still chewing on the fact that they had to call the National Sea Rescue Institute (equivalent of the U.S. coast guard) to assist getting the individual out of the fish tank and to a hospital. If ever there is a spot where the DM can perform a rescue, this is it.

That certainly does not seem right, although they are very close by and probably have better training, assuming that there were members at the station at the time.

Glad he was rescued and this event happened there and not out in the ocean where the outcome could have been far worse!

Just To follow up. I met with one of the DM's last night and they gave me a few updates.

1. They apparently have a panic button situated at the entry of both dives. If the button is pushed then it initiates the emergency action plan, which includes the calling of NSRI.
2. A member of the family phoned the aquarium to inform them that the man was in a stable condition.
3. Aquarium dive staff were briefed on what had transpired by the following day.

Like i mentioned before I have huge respect for the Instructor involved and it looks like a good emergency action plan minimised what could have been a fatal accident. That's what i like at bout the aquarium as well. Attention to detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom