80 divers will search for the black boxes of AirAsia Flight 8501

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers are like the aquatic (H)amateur radio operators, which is so cool.

I still don't know why they keep referring to the flight data recorders as black boxes. They haven't been black for years.

I still don't know why they keep referring to the flight data recorders as black boxes. They haven't been black for years.

Probably because it sounds a lot cooler than "Flight Incident Recording and Monitoring System".

You learn something new every day! You can clearly see from the video clip that it was white!
Divers are like the aquatic (H)amateur radio operators, which is so cool.

It's an old electronics term which applies quite well to a Flight Data Recorder.
http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_box

I don't believe they were ever actually black, which would have make them harded to find.

Bob

The current news stories are that they were successful in downloading the flight data recorder and that they have found the fuselage. I wonder if they will try to raise it?

The link below is for a video about the USS Sampson's involvement in the search for 8501. This segment was filmed before the black boxes were found but it is still an interesting piece IMO. I didn't realize that a US vessel was so heavily involved in the search; the Sampson recovered 15 of the original 40 bodies. A very difficult job for all involved.

Behind The Scenes: The U.S.S. Sampson's Hunt For The AirAsia Black Boxes Video - ABC News

BTW, I think that "black boxes" is just a colloquial term but it gets used a lot because most everyone understand what it means. All her life my husband's grandmother called the refrigerator the "Frigidaire" and the vacuum cleaner was the "Hoover" no matter what brands they were - and we knew what she meant!

How true Kathy V. and tissues were all kleenex!!!
The current news stories are that they were successful in downloading the flight data recorder and that they have found the fuselage. I wonder if they will try to raise it?

The link below is for a video about the USS Sampson's involvement in the search for 8501. This segment was filmed before the black boxes were found but it is still an interesting piece IMO. I didn't realize that a US vessel was so heavily involved in the search; the Sampson recovered 15 of the original 40 bodies. A very difficult job for all involved.

Behind The Scenes: The U.S.S. Sampson's Hunt For The AirAsia Black Boxes Video - ABC News

BTW, I think that "black boxes" is just a colloquial term but it gets used a lot because most everyone understand what it means. All her life my husband's grandmother called the refrigerator the "Frigidaire" and the vacuum cleaner was the "Hoover" no matter what brands they were - and we knew what she meant!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom