A possibly silly fin question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm diving tropical in board shorts I wear zipless, ankle high, hard sole neoprene reef shoes with my open heel fins instead of full neoprene boots. Wearing boots with shorts looks kinda dorkish, like sandals and socks :p jk

I also have some Mares closed heel fins that I mainly use for snorkelling. They are more streamlined and feel much more like an extension of your foot and leg, which is great if you are a freediver in a slick wetsuit. When you are pushing a tank, BC and hoses through the water as well then the extra drag of a buckle and foot pocket is insignificant.

I take the same fins that I use in cold water with me to warm water locations. A good pair of hard soled neoprene boots fit the same size fins as my dry suit boots. Since I tend to be leg heavy, a little extra floatation on my feet also helps. Depending on where I travel, shore entries may also be part of the plan, and boots help there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dear Gordon,

It is not a minor issue to those who really know the difference.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Gordon,

It is not a minor issue to those who really know the difference.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Then I guess I am just not in the know, Dave. :D

Last edited:
I think every DM I have been on a boat with while in Cozumel has used full foot fins. I never asked why and assumed it was due to the added expense of needing boots or the upgrade to spring straps. On the other hand I have seen very few if any paying customer use full foot fins. My son and his girlfriend have mares full foot fins and love them for snorkeling. I like wearing boots for the same reason as those previously mentioned.

Have read some interesting comments in this thread that get you thinking about what is the best way to go when it comes to fins, such as the ladder hurting your feet when you climb back on the boat.

I have used boots and strap fins since I began diving in 1998. Having all of my own gear, I have found that when tying a dive trip into your vacation, how you pack is very important. Not to go into detail of all of my packing strategies through the years, I recently purchased a pair of ScubaPro full foot split fins thinking about space in my luggage. When I put them in the suitcase, they lay flat and weigh less. Most of my diving is in the Caribbean, so I didn't feel I would need boots for warmth or protection (but I am still going to take them on my next trip as beach shoes for rough beaches.) I also dove in Puerto Vallarta wearing the dive shops full foot fins in 70 degree water and never felt cold (after the initial shock) but also wore a 5mm wetsuit. Guess I'm saying, for me, warmth of my feet were not an issue.

Next week will be my first to use my new full foot fins. Hope my feet don't hurt climbing up the ladder!

One last comment, then Im done. If virtually every DM in Cozumel is wearing full foot fins…should that not tell you something?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

One last comment, then Im done. If virtually every DM in Cozumel is wearing full foot fins…should that not tell you something?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Are you talking just to me or to everyone who uses open backed fins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom