Packing photo equipment suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for LowePro camera bag for cameras and lenses plus computer, and the Pelican 1510 for housing, ports and strobes as well as other bits and bobs all wrapped up usually with about 50% of my clothes (T-shirts)

All my other dive gear goes into hard suitcase (no zippers)

I use a similar approach to PatW. I pack 2x Inon z240's, arms, battery chargers, batteries, Sola 500, macro ports, 4" Zen Dome, housing handles, macbook power supply, vacuum pump and dive computer in a Porter hard case (Porter Case). The rest of my gear (Canon 7D, Nauticam housing, 60mm, 100mm, Tokina 10-17, 8" dome, macbook) go in a Think Tank backpack. These two bags are carry-on.

The dive gear and clothes go in checked luggage. In parts of the world where I'm strictly limited to 1 bag, I'll check the Porter and carry on the Think Tank. Depending on the situation, I also wear a photo vest and can stuff that with lots of things such as strobes, lights, battery chargers. I usually carry on enough so that if bags are lost I can take photos. You can usually rent dive gear but camera gear is not so easy to replace in a pinch.

The Porter case is worth taking a look at. I really like the dolly aspect of it. I can carry all of my gear using this setup without any help.

I had to upsize my back back when I upsized my camera and strobes. Went with a Tenba Roadie 2 backpack. Had a Lowepro 350 Fastpack but was too small and I need to sell. Love the size of the Tenba. Haven't traveled with it yet but will be going to Fiji with it in a month. The Roadie 2 has been discontinued and repalce by the Roadie, and you may be able to find one discontinued like I did.

That's a fantastic idea! I've been taking my Nauticam ports in their original cardboard boxes they came shipped in, and now after a year the cardboard is kind of faling apart! My wife always complains that we have too many tupperware containers lying around.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 01:49 PM ----------

Thanks diver 85. I was at a Container Store the other day and randomly came upon this polylethelene packing foam material that may work as well. The good thing is you can buy it by the square foot and it comes scored (into squares) and it's very cheap and seems to really cushion. More importantly, it doesn't seem to add much bulk to the equipment. I'll try the bubble wrap and this material and report back.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/movingShippingStorage/packingMaterials?productId=10001342&N=78664

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom