50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

57 years old. AOW/Nitrox. Travel extensively in Asia/Micronesia for work, so most of diving is around Guam/Yap/Palau these days. Home is near New Orleans but have yet to dive in the Gulf of Mexico (soon.. and will be looking for dive buddies and advice on wetsuits [have yet to need one]). Have spent most of my dive budget at MDA in Guam.

Where do you live?
Central Norway. As my "location" says, about half an hours' drive from where Hell occasionally freezes over (there is actually a small community called Hell less than half an hours' drive from here)

11891692405_d54c55d5e3_t.jpg
11892533076_a5c8b35069_t.jpg

Where do you dive?
Locally (the fjord) and regionally (the coast, between two and four hours' drive from home)

Favorite dive shop?
I try to patronize different dive shops. We've got two here in town, and there are two in Oslo that I like and use when I'm down there.

Current certification?
AOW+nitrox

And I forgot: 51 (and a half...)

I will be 67 in a couple of months. Got NASDS in 1967 and recently did PADI OW, peak performance bouyancy, underwater navigation, fish identification, AOW, and EFR. We have dove: Catalina California, Monterey CA, Costa Rica, St. Thomas, Key Largo. I did not read through all of the posts, but I did the first half dozen or so screens and it seems like I am older than everyone else. Was there anyone older than I am who posted? I seem to usually be the oldest one on any dive boat and the oldest guy in the gym.

I am the one to burst your bubble. My wife was first certified at age 77. Yes 77. We have dived in Kona, Hawaii and in Akumal, Mexico, including cenote dives.. She had also dived off the Spectre in Ventura and shore dived in Morro Bay, CA. She turned 80 in June and thinks she will hang up her fins now.

I am the one to burst your bubble. My wife was first certified at age 77. Yes 77. We have dived in Kona, Hawaii and in Akumal, Mexico, including cenote dives.. She had also dived off the Spectre in Ventura and shore dived in Morro Bay, CA. She turned 80 in June and thinks she will hang up her fins now.
Grover, that's awesome! Please send my congrats to the wife! Before she hangs up the fins, maybe some fun, easy, shallow diving at the Bridge? Blue Heron Bridge. Most of the locals, those that dive year round and who's name is mentioned in diving circles.. a lot of them have various degrees of gray hair.. and are women!

54 years young, started in 1977. Dove, slowed, stopped, restarted.
Dive wherever, although spent most of my time diving while living on Long Island, and the past 16 years living on the coast of NC
Was Master Diver until reaching Semi Retirement a few years ago, then moved onto instructor at Recreational and Technical levels
I have home shops everywhere, Air Hogs in Raleigh, The Dive Shop on Long Island, Black Beard Scuba on the coast, NESS in Conshy. Relationships are the one thing the Internet can never replace. Even when I shop on the Internet, I never buy from somewhere I haven't visited or met the people first.

Old enough to remember Honest Archie, Professional Diving School of NY and Divers Way. Have had the pleasure to meet or know Zale Perry, Edwin Link, Stan Waterman, Tom Rose and many others of the old guard. They would be proud of the rising stars, and what they are doing, as well.

hi, 50++++
from the Ottawa, Ontario , Canada region. been diving 12 years and still
enjoying the activity with my son!!!

Hi I am 57 started diving in 1980 took a sabbatical of about 22 years At the time had about 300 or so dives ,we never had the courses or classes to further our dive training back then mind you this was before an octopus rig and we used a horse collar ,Not like the BCD'S and or wings they use today . I have dove all over the Philippines and will head there March of 2015 to dive in Anilao and in Malapascua .

When I am not diving there I can be found in the waters off Massachusetts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom