Blue Angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at $650 from Pittsburgh at the beginning of August. $550 to Cancun. It's worth the extra $100 to me to avoid the "bag drag".

Remember in your calculations paying to get to the ferry, paying for the ferry and then a taxi to your hotel.

i got as good as 509 on sw outta PIT to CUN? and that is 2 free bags

Rick - I have $422 PIT to CUN this AM. With van/ferry, it's close to a wash price-wise (I'm travelling solo) time considerations notwithstanding.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2015 at 05:49 AM ----------

I'm thinking of driving to IAD ($477 to CZM). 4 hours each way, maybe $60 gas, save $150.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2015 at 05:54 AM ----------

The thing that concerns me the most about flying into CUN is the return trip. Last year, all the return flights left around 10:00AM unless I wanted to do an overnight. With the first ferry from CZM leaving @ 7:00AM, it was cutting it too close.

Remember in your calculations paying to get to the ferry, paying for the ferry and then a taxi to your hotel.
ADO bus to playa, $156 M, Ferry $163M = $319M (319M = about 22USD) I believe the taxi from the pier (80M) to BA is cheaper than the airport van. Time 2 - 3 hours.

I'm thinking of driving to IAD ($477 to CZM). 4 hours each way, maybe $60 gas, save $150.
Ugh. Driving costs a lot more than just gas, and such an add-on hassle.

Ugh. Driving costs a lot more than just gas, and such an add-on hassle.

True - but $150 is 2 more 2-tank dives!

I also have a friend near DC I haven't seen in awhile.

If you are considering driving, did you check BWI to CUN on Southwest? That is our go to flight now, since they swallowed Airtran. 4 hours and BANG you are in Cancun. No changing plane crap. For me, less money and less time in an airline seat is awesome. Have the van stop leaving the CUN for some cervesa and decompress on the 45 minute van ride looking at the sites. If I am lucky, get on Ultramar and chill listening to the band and sucking in that sea air. Wonderful.

And they have this weird change policy: its free! Which I find dangerous. I was booked 2/10-19 and then a week or so ago I get an email for a big sale for Feb. I look and now Monday 2/9 is like 150 and the 19th is 165. That is like $315 ROUND TRIP!!! So I call because it won't let me change online. SW is like sure. Done. Everyone gets a $60 voucher. So I though wow that is cool. So now I have the changing thing in my mind. So I am still checking and suddenly Sunday the 8 comes down in price as well. So I figure, why not.

Ok this might have been a bridge to far.... I was on the phone for 1 hour and 55 minutes. I handed a 3 car crash with them on hold in one ear. Apparently it isn't easy to change a flight again 3 days later and use vouchers. They also said they had to split the return flight into 4 different bookings. Then I didn't get the confirmations for two of them. So I called back. After about another hour the nice guy figured it out. They booked two of my group on a different plane and didn't add my email to the flights. So he got all the straightened out.

In the end I paid an additional $40 dollars for each ticket, which tells me they didn't use the vouchers as that should have been the cost of the flight. I should have had 4 $20 voucher when done. They also knocked the early bird check in off the return flights, so I had to buy that again.

But I got all the flights squared away and I sent them a nice email asking they look into it. Still, I am going two days early, so YEA. Any other airline that would have been like what $75 for each change? And the free bag makes it nice for muling stuff down.

As for the getting from CUN to Coz and back, I like the van ferry route. Around $50 for the van plus the ferry. Now if I was traveling alone, I might consider the bus. I have done it and it is just fine.

Coming back, I would grab a Mayair. Email for the ticket and get it for around 50. Show up an CZM 30-40 minutes before the flight leaves and land in CUN 15 minutes later. I don't like the 2 hour 'rush' using the ferry van coming back.

Oh and that shared van thing outta CZM, no bueno. For me at least. In December, I had to come later as I had a trial scheduled, then it got cancelled, so I figured I would surprise the missus who was already there. I used Mayair to rush over to be waiting in Money Bar when they got there. I'm sneaky. In CZM there was a nice queue forming for the sardine-mobiles, but I am also a rebel. I bolted and headed for the road on foot. I just got to the circle, when I saw a cab and we did the eye, head shake thing and he signalled he would stop down the airport road a bit. I headed that way, he stopped and was grabbing my bags. Hurry!!! We got loaded and no Federales saw him taking an airport fare. I think 200 peso later I was at Money.

I sat at a table off to the side, hiding behind a menu and Alison got the missus to talk about me. Hilarious. Made her send me pictures of them at Money. So I sent back a picture of me at Money. That was funny to watch! "Wait ,what, huh?"

But I digress.....

I stayed there when it was Caribe Blu. It's not a fancy resort type place but I really liked it. LARGE rooms, pool, just a few steps to the pier, dive op. on-site. We'd have breakfast at their cafe before leaving for the dives. I've walked to the plaza a few times from there but I'd rather take a cab. Most of the dives were about an hour. If airfare was cheaper I'd go back this summer, but the air-hotel packages seem to be cheaper. I wish Blue Angel would do an air-hotel thing.

Gordon, is Matt still a DM there?

True - but $150 is 2 more 2-tank dives!

I also have a friend near DC I haven't seen in awhile.
I always worry about making that one hour run to the airport for my "be in that seat or else" plane ticket. One time I had a battery problem, sometimes tires go flat, sometimes weather happens, sometimes traffic gets jammed - ok, maybe not to you, but who knows? Then coming back at the end of a trip, the last thing I want to do is drive 4 hours home, and it's dangerous.

I stayed there when it was Caribe Blu. It's not a fancy resort type place but I really liked it. LARGE rooms, pool, just a few steps to the pier, dive op. on-site. We'd have breakfast at their cafe before leaving for the dives. I've walked to the plaza a few times from there but I'd rather take a cab. Most of the dives were about an hour. If airfare was cheaper I'd go back this summer, but the air-hotel packages seem to be cheaper. I wish Blue Angel would do an air-hotel thing.

They paved over the animals in the room floors, but otherwise it's nicer than ever. They do have air & hotel packages on some sites, but they are higher than they were before all of the upgrades.

There were two Matt DM's at Blue Angel, though when it was Caribe Blu I think there was only Mateo from Chicago. He was still there last time I was there (last May), though the other Matt (from Canada) has gone back to the Great White North.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom