Mixing and matching lights. arms, and trays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just started looking into putting together a video setup, and could use some guidance on how to mix/match lights and arms. It's unclear as to whether you can use certain arm types and lights together.

For instance, if I wanted to use BigBlue lights such as the VL2800p...

VL2800P_1200x900.jpg

...what are my options for "flex" arms?

And does that impact my choice of trays?

Looking to put together a flexible all-purpose GoPro two-lightset up... do I need to dial in lights first and then back into arms and then tray?

If you want to combine wide angle macro to make quick changes go for plastic flexarms. I have alu. arms and they are not so quick to change lightangles on. Snakeriver Prototyping has a nice setup. Make sure the arms are long enough to awoid backscatter on wide.

sent from mobile unit

ball mount diameters and flex-arm (Loc-Line) diameters differ and are not interchangeable. Ball mounts are great for heavier light heads. Loc Line holds at any position you want while under water but tends to be a tad floppy once out of the water if you use bigger strobes (D2000, Z240 etc) - they also squeak when repositioning and can pop out of socket if flexed too far. if you're using what is pictured, the 3/4" will be more than enough - may be able to use the 1/2" if it's lightweight. sourcing adapters can be a challenge but most are available with a small effort.

My experience with flex arms like Loc Line is that they become floppy as you get longer. I need them fairly long with my GoPro or stills camera in order to avoid massive backscatter. The true ball mounts are a much better option, but a lot more money.

Yes, I think they supply enough light. I wish I could post a video from my last trip. Alas, the portable drive I had the videos stored on crashed and I haven't been able to recover them.

Reactions: RJP
My experience with flex arms like Loc Line is that they become floppy as you get longer. I need them fairly long with my GoPro or stills camera in order to avoid massive backscatter. The true ball mounts are a much better option, but a lot more money.

untrue , i use Loc Line for my video arms and they are stiff and rigid ... my light arms are 8 years old, and they are great... I can mount my rig to my scooter and they arms dont bend when im going through the gears

10655297_10203517890607507_2274368210768377188_o.jpg

10700145_10203355303302926_7429149115598266236_o.jpg

i make my own light trays for video and Photo... Loc Line

Yes, I think they supply enough light. I wish I could post a video from my last trip. Alas, the portable drive I had the videos stored on crashed and I haven't been able to recover them.

Note my "Like This Post" above was for the info about the coverage... not for your hard drive crash.

:D

The wide has a 60 degree beam, with the 2 of them it seems to cover well.

I also bought the spot head. It works great as a backup light for night diving.

There is a nightsea head that you can get for flourescence, I might have to try that one some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom