Torn ACL, Meniscus, LCL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab4life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all, I ended up tearing up my ACL, a chunk of my meniscus and my LCL in a freak accident, and 3 months ago I had surgery. Has anyone had any similar problems, and how long did it take for them to get back in the water? Thanks!!

Been there done that, got the Tshirt.
Only YOU are going to know when it's time to get back in the water. Everyone heals differently. If you have to ask if your knee is ready..it's probably not.

I'm not a doctor, but I do believe most things can be cured by soaking them in salt water.

Rehab, rehab, rehab. Range of motion and strength. I've had 5 surgeries on my right knee and it's basically waiting to be replaced once I turn 50. Muscle atrophy is a huge issue so even if your just doing flex exercises in place, keep the muscle doing something. If you were in good shape before the injury, it will be faster. If your in your 20's and athletic if will be faster than 40's and not so much. If you weren't in good shape, losing weight makes a huge difference. Once your walking unassisted, stairs don't make you look for another way to go, swimming for a couple of hundred yards is not a problem, and last but not least, climbing a ladder with 80+ pounds of gear is doable on a pitching, rolling boat and that leg has the strength to keep you on the ladder, I'd say your ready. There is less strenuous diving, and I would ease back into it. If you boat dive ( I know nothing about Pacific NW diving) I would remove my gear in the water and hand it up if possible before tacking a dive ladder. It seems like it took almost a year before my knee felt "stable". I still "one leg" ladders and stairs without a handrail. If currents are an issue, I'd make sure you have the strength and stamina to handle it if needed. Split fins are supposed to help, but I don't use them.

A physical therapist that dives could probably work up some excercise that could help strengthen dive related muscles. My last PT compared my bad leg to my good leg on strength and range and when I was within 80% or some percentage, he released me.

good luck, what ever you do, don't bite off more than you can chew right off the bat. You, and your buddy, could have a very bad day.

jay

You may start by doing pool work as soon as your cleared by Dr. and the incision is healed. This also depends on other factors such as weight bearing, use of a brace locked in a certain range of motion, etc.

Your PT should be able to steer you into scuba diving progression, as stated, spending time in the pool working on swimming mechanics, snorkling, free diving. At the same time working on progressive strengthening, balance and overall cardiovascular conditioning. More likely you will be wearing a brace, look around for something that you can get wet.

Having broken a few bones and ruptured a tendon i’d suggest that starting too early is a mistake, but doing nothing is a mistake too. Always move a little if nothing else, and get some ice and stretch. It is time consuming, and a pain, but necessary. Transition into strengthening. It may take months. Listen to your own body. It took me six months to get back into the water. Part of that was letting the incision heal, but the most significant part was getting the strength back from a period of relative inactivity. The first time back schlepping 60 pounds of gear across the sand can be interesting if you are not with buddies who are keyed in. Let them know where you are at.

So what in the world did you do?

Thanks, all, like I said its been about 3 months. I have gotten all my flexion back but still need some more extension, I thought MAYBE the fins may help break thru that scar tissue. As for the PNW I would more than likely look at shore diving with light current for awhile, because yes a boat may not be good for it.I've already beendrunnning around with all my firefighting gear which is an easy 100lbs, so I dont think weight is a problem as it is stabillity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom