DM+IDC internship worldwide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arrac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

So..I`ve just been diving for like 10 months, got my PADI rescue completed in July in Malta. Live in Sweden, where the diving for me is not that fun...(too cold), pitch black baltic sea...

Turning 40 this year, and I believe it`s time for me to go pro. Working as a salesmen is really starting to get to me, and wanna have a more fun working somwhere on the globe with warmer climate.

Been looking a lot for a good DC that offers internships for what I`m after, but where to go? Honduras looks really nice, but so does Bali, Borneo, Mexico, Thailand... Still undecided, but leaning towards
Honduras. Propably Roatan or Utila. Bali looks pretty awesome too!

But does any one of you have a recomedation for a good DC that has good quality courses? Really wanna succeed if I`m going to quit my work, pack couple of bags (including gear ofc), and just go for it.
It can be situated a bit off, no need for nightclubs just outside the doorstep, but a pub somewhere close by wouldnt be that bad. Dont mind enjoying a cold pint or 2.
Don`t mind cheaper living costs either.

And is there any dive centres that employ 40 year old, newly examinated instructors? :p Allthough I`m still 25 in spirit!

Hope I get some input from you more experienced divers here! :)

You've asked two questions (where do I go do my IDC? Can a 40 year-old new dive instructor find a job?), and gotten one answer from somebody who reaches IDCs suggesting his dive center.

The answer to the first question is: lots of places, for example Buddy Dive Academy in Bonaire (no, I do not work there!) has a very high success rate for their students. Another strategy is to do your IDC at a place where you might want to work....get the inside track, so to speak. Another strategy is to do your IDC at a place that is well-connected and networked, to help you find a job; an example is Pro-Dive in Florida.

As to finding a job: there are LOTS of new dive instructors looking for jobs; the competition is tough. The problem with being 40 is you are assumed to need more money, be less tolerant of hard work and being told what to do, and perhaps be kind of set in your ways. The good news about being 40 is you are assumed to be more mature, have more experience working with people, have a better attention span while learning, and be more socialized. Your best bet, however, is to have skills beyond dive instructor, to set you apart. Examples are diesel mechanic, boat captain, underwater photographer, equipment tech, medic, speak many languages, etc. You may end up getting no-so-good jobs for a while just to get some experience and to build a resume. The first jobs you take do not have to be for the rest of your career.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I believe I`ve found what I`m after, and some. If and when I pass DM and IDC, i will most likely do MSDT as well, and get some extra specialtys. This in Roatan, Honduras. I do speak Swedish, Finnish and English, so I hope it will be easier to find work. Atleast in the more popular european vacation spots for nordic and english speaking. Maybe Dive boat captain program as well? :)

Pretty easy going, all I basically need is a roof over my head, food on the plate and some pocketmoney for some beer. Dont have any childsupport or any expensive wifeys either.

EDIT: But holy cr*p! The living costs in Roatan seems insane! Asked around a bit, and they reckon one should budget for about $1000/month for some food and stuff excluding accomodation? Is that really accurate? :O

Last edited:
Yes that is pretty accurate. you can eat basics rice and beans and you won't spend quite as much. When I lived there about 10 years ago I had a very basic cabin and paid $350 a month including utilities in a shared place, place food and drink on top. Its is a fun place though!

The living costs in Roatan seems insane! Asked around a bit, and they reckon one should budget for about $1000/month for some food and stuff excluding accomodation? Is that really accurate? :O

The living costs in Asia are much lower... For example in Bali most people get food, drinks and accommodation for around $600 per month...

Hi, bubble Junky, just looked at your courses, and they seem nice. Even e-mailed some questions :) Living costs in Bali is a lot lower than Roatan...

Hi Arrac :)

I would have to agree with you about Borneo, not just for the beautiful paradise location where some of the worlds' best scuba diving destinations are, but there's so much more beyond SCUBA too!

I'm one of the Staff Instructors of Downbelows' Go PRO team, and in 2012 I completed my PADI Divemaster as well as my Instructor Development Course (IDC) in a convenient 3-month Go PRO internship program at our premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
It's been a few years since, but the wonderful memories of my experience are still strong :)

It's unfortunate your current sales job isn't as fun as you'd like it to be, although sales is a skill that will be incredibly valuable to you as a dive instructor - maybe, like most Pro divers, you'll love to sell dive experiences :wink: THIS is one of the duties a PADI Instructor will be expected to adhere to - encouraging your student divers to continue their dive education through sales of equipment, courses, travel and more.

The Go PRO internship I completed was personalised to my professional needs, AND in the 3-month period I also gained so much real diving experience as well as qualifying to apply as Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT). Whatever your situation/budget/time availability, our Go PRO advisors are experienced in creating an itinerary that will be suitable for you - and they are VERY quick to respond; within 24 hours!

Good research of a prospective dive centre would be to search for the opinion of those who have experienced an internship program. You can browse through the testimonials of previous Pro Diver candidates we have collected over the many years our operations have been conducting Go PRO internship programs :) Following us on our social media platforms will also give you an idea of what daily activities you might get involved in - like marine conservation, ghost net removals, coral re-planting, group diving activities, dive operations and management...basically, there's never a dull day :p

Hope your decision will be just what you want and NEED, Arrac...and is lots of fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom