Votes: 13 12.4%
  • should be avoided

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Totally unacceptable

Votes: 53 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your question is a little ambiguous. If this was an OW class then no, any other class, it probably would be okay. In your scenario, doesn't sound like he was teaching a class, but decided to help the 2 unskilled divers out.

Now I as far as the dive guide portion of your question, I wouldn't like that, having been on dives where people were "eradicating" the lion fish, I'll avoid that as much as possible because the guide was more focused on finding lion-fish for 2 leaving the rest of us to find the unusual stuff on our own. I would think the same would happen with a camera in hand.

@Scubasteve. The question clearly mentions AOW :)

And I am of the opinion that, as you mention the lionfish erradicator, that you cannot do 3 things efficiently during a dive: lead (showing stuffs underwater) for which you are paid, teaching ( even if it is only AOW ) for which the student was charged and taking video ( not on the head but "the real thing" with 2 long arms and video lights ...............) that was offered @ $ 40 :).

I decided not to join this thread, but now see that if I had offered my opinion (as was requested) the OP would have argued with me if my opinion had differed from his. Glad I'm not playing this game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

FYI, I am not playing a game. I respect your opinion as much as I have respected other's opinion. I was just trying to clarify one question regarding the training. The training went for an AOW, that is, in my opinion ( again you may have another one ) a less risky undertaking that OW certification :)

God bless you :)

@Scubasteve. The question clearly mentions AOW :)

And I am of the opinion that, as you mention the lionfish erradicator, that you cannot do 3 things efficiently during a dive: lead (showing stuffs underwater) for which you are paid, teaching ( even if it is only AOW ) for which the student was charged and taking video ( not on the head but "the real thing" with 2 long arms and video lights ...............) that was offered @ $ 40 :).

I went and looked at your original post, I miss understood the part about him having possibly 2 AOW students.

No problem scubasteve. My monther's tongue is french so my English......................could be better.:wink:

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Cheers :)

With me being fairly new to the sport and not having a whole lot of knowledge on the teaching aspect my opinion may be fairly irrelevant. But with that being said i believe there are times when taking video can be done or utilized while teaching or leading a group of divers. For example side mount diving; whether you are mentoring somebody in that area of diving or you are that persons dive instructor ii think it would be beneficial to have video of the student to help work out the different gear configurations and the trim of that persons body in the water. Also for other specialties as well it could be beneficial to have video of them, in order to show him or her what they are doing right/wrong. Sometimes people need to see it for themselves, not just listen to what somebody else is telling them. With all of that being said i also believe there are times that the instructor or dive master should not video. For example; an open water class. I believe that an instructor should have all of their attention directed at the student(s) for the simple fact is that , this is there first course in scuba diving and every precaution (precaution should be taken with every dive ) should be taken to insure they don't get spooked or something like that. Also if you are the dive master for a large group; you need to insure you can maintain a handle on the situation to make sure everyone is diving safely and following the dive plan. I also believe (most people probably do as well) that unless you are comfortable enough in the water and have the skill level to do so, you should not be videoing. The priority is to have a safe dive!

I doubt if the posters on this thread would be so understanding if one of the AOW students died while the instructor/DM/guide/cameraman was busy shooting film of lionfish being dispatched.

I suppose that it is quite entrepreneurial to be paid multiple times for the same dive, however as I see it the only one coming out ahead is the "Guide".

Bob

I doubt if the posters on this thread would be so understanding if one of the AOW students died while the instructor/DM/guide/cameraman was busy shooting film of lionfish being dispatched.

I suppose that it is quite entrepreneurial to be paid multiple times for the same dive, however as I see it the only one coming out ahead is the "Guide". Bob

We are in total agreement Bob :).

Now that you mention that the only one coming out ahaead is the "guide", it makes me think that he was quite often the first one out of the water, before all his team :(.

I remember having heard in St Martin, that a young women died there, under the dive boat . The reason, she had her own brand new equipment and was way overweighted ( too much lead) . For some reason she was at the surface, at the end of the group on a line behind the boat. The Dive master came on the boat the first one while the girl, for some reason, went under without anybody noticing it. Since I heard that sad story, when I am diving together with other divers that have less experience than myself, I am ALWAYS the last one out of the water.

With me being fairly new to the sport and not having a whole lot of knowledge on the teaching aspect my opinion may be fairly irrelevant. But with that being said i believe there are times when taking video can be done or utilized while teaching or leading a group of divers. For example side mount diving; whether you are mentoring somebody in that area of diving or you are that persons dive instructor ii think it would be beneficial to have video of the student to help work out the different gear configurations and the trim of that persons body in the water. Also for other specialties as well it could be beneficial to have video of them, in order to show him or her what they are doing right/wrong. Sometimes people need to see it for themselves, not just listen to what somebody else is telling them. With all of that being said i also believe there are times that the instructor or dive master should not video. For example; an open water class. I believe that an instructor should have all of their attention directed at the student(s) for the simple fact is that , this is there first course in scuba diving and every precaution (precaution should be taken with every dive ) should be taken to insure they don't get spooked or something like that. Also if you are the dive master for a large group; you need to insure you can maintain a handle on the situation to make sure everyone is diving safely and following the dive plan. I also believe (most people probably do as well) that unless you are comfortable enough in the water and have the skill level to do so, you should not be videoing. The priority is to have a safe dive!

They are guides, there to point out some things you may not see, they should know the area very well, but they are not there to insure everyone's safety, or that everyone is following the dive plan. that's where individual responsibility comes in.

Back
Top Bottom