Indonesian fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I spent a couple of weeks on Bali and on Gili Air and have some fish I cannot find. Some of these I feel should be easy; maybe I am just burned out paging through books...

544dcb3c.jpg
Small fish clustering around an anemone. Muck diving on Lombok.

54418f18.jpg
I assumed some sort of unicorn or rabbit fish, but could not find one. On the Liberty Wreck

54488868.jpg
This is the really embarrassing one... Schooling in Gili islands

54421cc6.jpg
From Tulamben

Thanks for any help anyone has!

1 Some type of juv. cardinalfish - maybe Moluccen but difficult to be sure. Apogon monospilus
2 Weird colour! Guess your white balance is off. Shape looks like a Bignose Unicornfish - Naso vlamingi
3 A type of Chub - I find the various species very difficult to distinguish
4 Photo very dark on my monitor and can't make out the fish's shape. Colour pattern could indicate Miller's Damsel - Asterropterryx ensiferus. Despite the name this is a type of goby.

Hope this helps

1 Some type of juv. cardinalfish - maybe Moluccen but difficult to be sure. Apogon monospilus
2 Weird colour! Guess your white balance is off. Shape looks like a Bignose Unicornfish - Naso vlamingi
3 A type of Chub - I find the various species very difficult to distinguish
4 Photo very dark on my monitor and can't make out the fish's shape. Colour pattern could indicate Miller's Damsel - Asterropterryx ensiferus. Despite the name this is a type of goby.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I think you are right on all of them. The white balance may be off on the Unicornfish (I set it as best I could). It was also a pre-dawn dive, so it's possible the fish was colored differently.

I went with Topsail Drummer for the chub. Other photos really show that high back part of the fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom