What to bring on a liveaboard... for the crew?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading to Truk on Monday for 10 days on the Truk Siren. I always like to bring some stuff for the crew. In most liveaboard locations it's hard to find certain things. In Chuuk... it's hard to find ANYTHING. And if you can find something you're looking for... it's expensive because it's been shipped from the US, through Guam, to Chuuk.

I've already loaded up on toothpaste, razors, shaving cream, deodorant and other toiletries which were specific suggestions from the boat's operations manager of things that are hard to come by that the crew would really appreciate. And I'm sure they will, but I like to bring something a bit more "gift like" as well.

I've got my usual list of things, but was wondering what suggestions folks might have.

Ray

money----

If you can get an idea of where the crew is from you can bring "comfort food" from that region. British folks might enjoy a good selection of teas, chocolates and so on. I am sure you get the idea.

money----
Nothing beat that.
When the trek to K2 base camp finished, I personally gave every member of the local supporting team a post card of Hong Kong. And they loved it. The other "tips" was dished out by someone else.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2015 at 03:00 AM ----------

I've already loaded up on toothpaste, razors, shaving cream, deodorant and other toiletries which were specific suggestions from the boat's operations manager of things that are hard to come by that the crew would really appreciate. And I'm sure they will, but I like to bring something a bit more "gift like" as well.

I've got my usual list of things, but was wondering what suggestions folks might have.

Ray
A Net jersey
Have a nice trip.

CR123 batteries! They are going to love you if you take a few boxes of those. Lot's of torches use them and they are not available in Chuuk.

Any dive gear you leave the guides behind, they will appreciate. Regs, BCDs, torches, dive computers. It's a good way to avoid overweight charges on the way back! :)

CR123 batteries! They are going to love you if you take a few boxes of those. Lot's of torches use them and they are not available in Chuuk.

Any dive gear you leave the guides behind, they will appreciate. Regs, BCDs, torches, dive computers. It's a good way to avoid overweight charges on the way back! :)

That's it,.........leave em your regs--BCs--& dive computers.......:)...only if you left your mind, behind, -----too

Last time I left nearly all of my clothes. Intend to do the same this time. Plus some extra; still have some as-new clothes from before I lost some weight two years ago.

That's cool that you're thinking of the crew and getting gifts... not only just tips. Money is indeed always appreciated, but like you I like to bring something extra. Here in Jordan we have really excellent sweets and pastries (similar to Greek Baklava) that don't spoil quickly, so I like to carry a box of those for them to enjoy. Also sometimes handcrafts or something that represents something unique from you're country - it doesn't need to be expensive just a small token or souvenir but at the same time something useful.

There are lot's of cool American products that may seem trivial to most Americans that I'm sure people from other parts of the world would really appreciate.

I spend HOURS recording movies onto DVD's....both old, new, documentaries almost anything. I sometimes carry up to 50 movies and such and leave them on the boat when I go home.

Crews will watch movies again and again and never seem to get tired of them.

If you can find WWII Pacific war documentaries, they will be nice references for the area.

Just make sure to contact the boat and find out if they play PAL Or NTSC!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom