Sipadan Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, all very logical. Then explain to me why insurance for these things becomes invalid just because a government designates an area unsafe because of heightened risk of kidnapping/terrorism? The risks due to my health conditions does not change. The airlines sell flight insurance. My equipment is my responsibility. The dive insurance I bought for the chamber and medical expenses related to DCS has not changed. Robbery?; well, there's no place to run on Mabul. I had a bag snatched once while in Melaka; the police tried to blame it on the Chinese woman I was traveling with. Life's a risk; diving's a risk. Just do it.

I have no idea why insurance becomes invalid jh_McLeod when a travel advisory is issued, but the thing is, it does! So, for anyone who still wants to be covered for the normal travel eventualities in these areas, finding insurance can be a bit tricky. Your points are all valid and definitely make sense, but I'm afraid they need to be taken up with the insurance companies. I was just looking to be covered...

Yes, all very logical. Then explain to me why insurance for these things becomes invalid just because a government designates an area unsafe because of heightened risk of kidnapping/terrorism? The risks due to my health conditions does not change. The airlines sell flight insurance. My equipment is my responsibility. The dive insurance I bought for the chamber and medical expenses related to DCS has not changed. Robbery?; well, there's no place to run on Mabul. I had a bag snatched once while in Melaka; the police tried to blame it on the Chinese woman I was traveling with. Life's a risk; diving's a risk. Just do it.
1. You have to ask the insurance company for an explanation. I can't answer that.
2. Insurance company will sell you a travel policy to anywhere but it is the customer's duty to check the small print as well as any relative travel warning. My Blue Cross travel insurance do not cover theft but yes to arm robbery!

UK Foreign Office advises against all non essential travel
I don't suppose claiming that diving is an essential activity would get you anywhere?

Seriously, why is Sipadan not covered? I know that some years ago they had problems with the Islamic terriorists from Mindanao but I thought that was not a major issue now?

There have been kidnappings of toursists for ransom from various resorts including Kapalai, Mabul Water bungalows etc. The latest one was just in July 2014, so most countries' Foreign Offices advise against non essential travel to the area.

Back
Top Bottom