Handheld Primaries & DR RX8/LX20 Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After USPS lost my almost new LM 21W LED in the mail when it was on the way back for warranty repair (sigh..), I think I'm in the market for a new primary light!

I've been reading about Dive Rite's "Handheld Primaries" with some interest. In theory, it appears to suit my type of diving now and for the foreseeable future - typically two 1hr overhead dives a day. The lighter weight is desirable as I need to fly to my dive destinations. Using 18650 rechargeable batteries means I can source for replacements when they eventually die. Cordless means one less cord to manage and (slightly) less task loading.

It seem all good, yet I'm sure I'm probably missing out on some of the minus points.

The RX8 is on discount on DRIS now and seems like a steal at $329.99. I understand it's last year's model and not as bright as the newer LX20, but hey, if it's that cheap....

I loved my LM light (before it got lost.. :furious:), and I've heard great things about UWLD too. So I'm not adverse to a corded light, in fact the new Halcyon Focus and Flare lights look sexy too, albeit a little expensive...

What do you guys think about the "Handheld Primary" concept and does anyone who has experience with Dive Rite's RX8 and/or LX20 care to share your experience here?

TIA!

I love cordless with sidemount.
Currently using the SOLA Tech. Have tried several, but not the RX8 or the LX20.

The Dive Rite handheld primaries are solid, well built units. The burn time on them would be perfect for the dives you are planning on doing each day. Like said above the non corded primaries are awesome for sidemount. I personally like the QRM mount as it's quick to snap on and off and provides a secure mounting solution. I'm personally considering picking up another RX-8 to replace one of my back up lights with, in addition to already having one for my primary.

The Dive Rite handheld primaries are solid, well built units. The burn time on them would be perfect for the dives you are planning on doing each day. Like said above the non corded primaries are awesome for sidemount. I personally like the QRM mount as it's quick to snap on and off and provides a secure mounting solution. I'm personally considering picking up another RX-8 to replace one of my back up lights with, in addition to already having one for my primary.
Yeah, if I could figure out how to attach a QRM to my SOLA Tech, I'd be a happy diver.

I used a demo RX8 once, and thought the light was a really nice light. I wasn't all that fond of the unit itself with the QRM. Nice concept but the RX8 light has a large battery end that seemed a bit awkward and flopped around to me, though it was better in the water. They also had a light, the RX6, that uses 4 AA batteries which was almost as bright, and used the QRM which although a not quite as bright or as long a burn time was pretty impressive. Plus using the AA batteries means you simply change them between dives. Also good travel size. The RX6 is a back up to my LM for serious dives and the one I take for night dives in the islands. Maybe not as bright or long burning as some lights available but still a viable unit. The only problem I have had with it was getting it taken by my daughter and having to buy another to keep.

I used a demo RX8 once, and thought the light was a really nice light. I wasn't all that fond of the unit itself with the QRM. Nice concept but the RX8 light has a large battery end that seemed a bit awkward and flopped around to me, though it was better in the water. They also had a light, the RX6, that uses 4 AA batteries which was almost as bright, and used the QRM which although a not quite as bright or as long a burn time was pretty impressive. Plus using the AA batteries means you simply change them between dives. Also good travel size. The RX6 is a back up to my LM for serious dives and the one I take for night dives in the islands. Maybe not as bright or long burning as some lights available but still a viable unit. The only problem I have had with it was getting it taken by my daughter and having to buy another to keep.

I can't find any info online on the RX6, was it a demo unit?

Yes I wondered whether the battery of the RX8 would be too bulky. The LX20 does seem to have a smaller battery compartment and looks more streamlined.

Cordless primary is starting to sound more and more attractive to me!

I've just ordered the BX-1, which with a single 18650 is 12,400Lux. Compared to the RX-8 (14,000) and the LX20 (20,000) seems a steal for the money.

If you wanna go cordless please take a look at this one: Double XML II LED primary dive light by Light For Me
Its a very interesting concept that lot of overhead divers like. Two separate / independent light sources acting as one powerful light - 1600 lumen (800 each).
Very handy, well built. Each powered by rechargeable 18650 cell with decent 90 min burn time.

Sales / service by US Distributor TecDiveGear.com located in central NJ.
Let me know if you have any questions.
double-xml-led-hand-held-primary-light-for-me.jpg

If you wanna go cordless please take a look at this one: Double XML II LED primary dive light by Light For Me
Its a very interesting concept that lot of overhead divers like. Two separate / independent light sources acting as one powerful light - 1600 lumen (800 each).
Very handy, well built. Each powered by rechargeable 18650 cell with decent 90 min burn time.

Sales / service by US Distributor TecDiveGear.com located in central NJ.
Let me know if you have any questions.
View attachment 203630

Full power for 90 mins on a 18650? Really?

Does it say "full power" in my post ?
It gets about 50-60 min of full power and then driver will allow light to work dropping some lumens until it will shut the light off on about 90 min into the dive.
Also these are results using hi quality batteries like Panasonic 3400mAh or EagleTac (panasonic in a different wrapper) not anything that ends with *fire.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom