Early season diving in Missouri area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topsailsun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Outside of Bonne Terre mine in St. Louis and doing pool time, are there any places that warm up quickly enough to wet suit dive in late winter/early spring in the Missouri area? I'm in great need of a dive weekend and May is seeming much too far away. Are there any other good options?

A lot depends on the thickness of the wetsuit and your tolerance to cold. I've dove a couple of times in Beaver Lake (northwest Arkansas) already this season with a 7mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves. Water was about 44 F. My core didn't seem to get too chilled during the dives, but I definitely felt it in my fingers and toes. The worst part seems to be getting out and drying off quickly.

Jeez-o-Pete Chicken Fried... I won't go near beaver without a dry suit this time of the year. We dove Bennett Springs in Lebanon, MO this past weekend and it was great despite the snow. the air temp was 19 degrees but the water was a balmy 56. Unfortunately Bennett Springs is only open to divers from November through Feb so the last dive day was Saturday. You have to call in advance and make reservations but it's well worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom