Bennett Springs, MO trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenFried

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been meaning to post this trip report for a few weeks now and finally got an opportunity to do a writeup, so sorry if this is a bit late.

Back in early November our dive club, the Greater Ozarks Dive Society, contacted Diane at Bennett Springs State Park about reserving a date to come and dive the springs. For those of you that do not know, only one group of up to 6 divers a day is allowed to dive the springs. By that time most of the choice weekends were already spoken for and we were given Saturday, December 27th. Originally we had all 6 spots filled; four of us who dive together a lot and two that were friends of one of the divers. But because of the flu going around and the inability to contact the two other divers, only three of us ended up going. By the way, from northwest Arkansas this ends up being a 3 hour drive. A little bit more than I was anticipating.

The weather that day was a little on the brisk side. The air temperatures were between 31 F and 35 F for most of the day, and there was on and off light rain most of the day. We arrived at around 10am and checked in with Diane. She went over all of the rules with us and ensured that we were indeed all certified to dive the springs. As others have mentioned on this board you do not have to be cave or cavern certified, just AOW I believe. If you meet with Diane, make sure and pay attention to all of the rules. She will quiz you!

After, the check-in we drove down to the spring and started setting up our tents and equipment. I would highly recommend a tent and some sort of propane heater. There was a little bit of a breeze that day and without the tent we likely would have been sitting in the trucks mostly. With only 3 divers we could only dive 2 at a time, because at least one person had to be out of the water on the surface at all times. This is another rule that the park has. Because of this, we didn't get as much diving in as we would have liked. When the divers came out, they had to take a surface interval before the other diver could go down with one of them again. I would highly recommend 4 or more divers for this trip, otherwise you'll only end up with one or two dives at best.

The springs themselves were awesome! When you enter the water you descend into an underwater hole that is approximately 50' in diameter. The water itself was crystal clear on this day. There was no trouble at all with visibility. You will feel a little bit of the flow of the springs at this point, but it shouldn't be too bad. The hole itself goes down approximately 30' or so before it starts angling back towards the cave entrance. This area is where most of the fish seemed to like to hang out. Right in between the bright areas and where it got a little bit darker. There certainly was a lot of fish in there that day. Going down further there is a bit of a restriction that you run into, and then it opens up to 30 feet more or so down to the bottom. At the bottom you are 85' down and it is fairly dark down here. Right at the bottom is the cave opening, otherwise known as the popcorn room. The flow is coming out of here pretty strong. On the day we dove it was 95 cubic feet/sec and you could feel every bit of it down there. Shine a light into the cave and it soon becomes evident why it is called the popcorn room. Pretty neat.

We were all diving wet that day and we each had 7mm suits, gloves, and hoods on. The water did not feel cold at all (it stays about 55 F year round). In fact I did not get cold until I got out of the water and exposed the inside of my wetsuit. Then it didn't take long at all to start getting chilled. If I had a drysuit, I'd probably dive this dry, but wet is certainly doable.

All in all, we had a great day of diving. We're going to make the trip there one more time this season and I can't wait. I've linked to some pictures of the springs below. They are not mine, so I am linking to them instead of posting them directly here.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatSouthernDiveco/posts/442347712586676

Great write up Ryan, we did have a good time and I for one look forward to going back what an amazing place to dive!

Nice acronym.

It is a beautiful dive. Went there on the 4th of January 2015 and was amazed. It was a very brisk 15° and the water froze as soon as we exited the water. Dove with a group from Arkansas. Hope to dive Tenkiller this weekend with them.

Diver Dan 28,
Let us know how the Tenkiller trip is. Our group from NWA plans on making a trip there sometime in the spring or early summer as well. We'd be interested in hearing what the conditions are like.

Will do

Went to the Scuba Park at Tenkiller today. Was a beautiful day for it here in OK. Visibility was about 6-10' above 60'. Water temp was 41°. It was a cold wetsuit dive for some. I'm now in the market for a dry suit.... lol. All the attractions are still there, boats, bus, airplane, and the helicopter. Lake level seemed low, the bottom of the helicopter was at 62' last summer. Today it was at 54'. I'm not a huge fan of the Scuba park yet it's ok when no classes are silting out the place.

Crappie Point is far more intresting if you like to explore. Yet the visibility is a huge determining factor when diving the walls and small caves. I had a friend almost die down there earlier last year. When the vis gets better that's were I'll be. Also nice dive sites are Hickory Flats, and Salt Creek (fun places to salvage anchors and the normal stuff fishermen / party boats drop over board). Then there's the Mob House out of Six Shooter Marina. That's a mind blower to dive!!!!

Here are a few pics of Bennet Springs.
1ed9941f662fa3cf0833ffbfd124e322.jpg

b248f65f0e6b76105c8d3001afe70b04.jpg

83d3775e730a3071b3a0c050cc93fb9c.jpg

And the dive today.
aad4b60bf5b609824d235e229a64a058.jpg

4dcc1c789ebd711753e538eab8051ac1.jpg

e8217a3025869ed4b55ceccce4697e30.jpg

I am a member of the Oklahoma Aquanuats out of Tulsa, and we primarily dive Beaver and Tenkiller. We have a trip planed to the Valhalla Missle Silo in May. Some of us may hit the Blue Hole soon after that too.
Anywho PM me when you guys may be in the area it'd be cool to dive with other clubs.

Diver Dan 28,
Thanks for posting the trip report to Tenkiller and for the pictures. I've got to say that I'm surprised that the visibility wasn't better there for this time of year. I haven't dived there before. What kind of visibility can you normally expect?

Tenkiller is typically 15'-18' last weekend it was maybe 8'-10'. It also changes when the dam is producing power. Once last year a friend and I went down to 108' and it opened up to maybe 30'-40' visiblity which was amazing. The scuba park never seems to get better than 15' though. It seems to be clearer in the deeper water off Crappie Point which is one reason it's fun to dive there. I wouldn't visit just for the scuba park though, there are so many intresting places to dive you could make a fun weekend trip out of it. However it's not as clear Beaver sometimes gets. But it's water, wet and cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom