Prescription mask for near vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltyhawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm....well....old enough to have presbyopia and need reading glasses for near vision. I also have astigmatism and wear contacts when I dive. I've tried the little glue on cheaters in my mask but they really don't work for me. Who makes a mask/lens with a 2.25 reading lens in the bottom? How far up does the correction lens go to be functional? Do you need to reduce the magnification a little due to the refractive effects of the water?

I don't have much trouble reading my computer in clear water/sunlight but at deeper depths and overcast skies it's a little difficult sometimes.

I assume it's impossible to correct astigmatism with a mask, is that true?

Try monovision CTLs for UW useage(diving)------might even wind up liking them for everyday wear.........

Try monovision CTLs for UW useage(diving)------might even wind up liking them for everyday wear.........

I've thought of trying that exclusively for diving....not an option for everyday as I love doing things that require good depth perception (archery, golf). How hard is it to switch back and forth between monovision contacts and regular distance contacts?

Sieg, does that presciption involve the whole lens?!

The gauge reader version is basically a bifocal lens with plain glass in the upper 2/3 and the "cheaters" in the lower third (approximately). I use them myself so I can easily read my gauges?computer and see my camera controls. It is a far less expensive solution than a custom ground prescription lens, unless that is what you require to correct you vision.

You might find this an interesting background summary: Purchase Vision Correction Mask for Scuba | VisibilityUnlimited.com

I've thought of trying that exclusively for diving....not an option for everyday as I love doing things that require good depth perception (archery, golf). How hard is it to switch back and forth between monovision contacts and regular distance contacts?

Sieg, does that presciption involve the whole lens?!

Not hard @ all---all you need is a separate 3rd lens for 1 eye(most of the time it winds up OS being corrected for near----ie leave OD for distance).......

EDIT--my doctoring coming out there----OD = right eye, OS = left eye........

Not hard @ all---all you need is a separate 3rd lens for 1 eye(most of the time it winds up OS being corrected for near----ie leave OD for distance).......

EDIT--my doctoring coming out there----OD = right eye, OS = left eye........

Not necessary, FP doc here. :)

Yikes went to your home page! I can't like you anymore! WPS! (hate y'all lost last night, didn't want your team mad when they come to Bud Walton Sat.)

Not necessary, FP doc here. :)

Yikes went to your home page! I can't like you anymore! WPS! (hate y'all lost last night, didn't want your team mad when they come to Bud Walton Sat.)

Seriously, get going in a mono fit----I use them for UW(only) & can wear the lenses all day the 1st day(without having to buildup any wearing time)......In fact, I modify my fit & overplus my OD distance RX & go full add OS @ near, helps out quite a bit for near(macro) UW photography...

BTW, we suck @ MBB--Johnny Jones(who is from my home town) should NOT be a HMBB coach @ D-1 level.....I was hoping when I got up this morning I would have read they fired his butt-----but our whimpy AD would NEVER do that.......:)......

I'm going to call my eye doc and give it a try. It might even be less expensive in the short term. I never thought it would be possible to go back and forth between the two methods. If it works I may do the mono fit for work too. The work computer is too far away for the readers and too close for the distance rx.

Then I could just wear my distance vision rx for golf/hunting/archery. I wonder how effective my near vision can be corrected with my astigmatism in play too. Can't hurt to ask.

Been there, done that in the MBB. '70's -mid 90's spoiled us. Don't know if Anderson will get us back or not but he will get the chance. Hopefully Bielema will make us relevant again in football. It's been a long time since the '79 when we were last a top 5 team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom