White balancing/color correction problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just use "Auto Adjust Colors" under the "Image" tab. Then play with "Color Corrections" under the same tab if you want to do more. I'm using version 4.36. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think the much-older versions actually had this capability.
I actaully got good results using this tool. However this is only for photos and I very rarely take photos underwater.
If only i could get the same results on the video, using after effects or what not

---------- Post added March 7th, 2015 at 11:59 PM ----------

Fixing the video in gopro studio simply wont cut it, however, i finally found what i needed to make the colors pop after using the white balance tool that after effect has, by using the hue/saturation effect. Finally decent footage!
Heres the result after a quick editing: http://i.imgur.com/akAkGWD.jpg

This brings me to another question tho, this was shot with RAW and WB off and with no lights. Is there ever a need for a red filter and/or lights when you can simply fix it to perfection in an editing program after the dive?

Cheers guys!

This brings me to another question tho, this was shot with RAW and WB off and with no lights. Is there ever a need for a red filter and/or lights when you can simply fix it to perfection in an editing program after the dive?

Cheers guys!
Your last attempt came out quite good.

I never got very good results trying to color correct GoPro video without a red-filter. I would shoot ProTune and Camera RAW. In shallow water it would be ok but at greater depths it was horrendous, way too blue/green.

If you can get consistently good results through a video editor without the use of a filter then your good. If not, use the red filter. Since video shot with a red filter is much more balanced color-wise, it makes it a lot easier for software to correct. All I ever had to do was use a simple WB tool and it came out golden all the time.

On a side note, the WB tools of different apps results differ slightly with the same source. I liked the results of GoPro Studio a little better than Sony Vegas. Using three-way color wheels usually gave the most accurate results.

On another side note. I used to carry around a gray, white and black card with my GoPro. I would include it in a shot briefly just in front of the camera then use the WB or 3 color wheel picker tool to color correct in post. Does not work good at depth. Since the card is only a few inches in front of the camera yet the rest of the reef is several feet away, WBing on the card would give inaccurate colors for everything in the background. I got better results using sand and/or dark black areas of the scene.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

How hard is it to understand? We used the same method using the same programs and his result was way better, hence my question, is pc rly that bad compared to macs?

Though I don't think it's the cause of the two computer dependencies, having your monitor calibrated helps when comparing. Use this simple site for calibrating your monitor: LCD monitor test images
If for no other reason, it helps for judging true color/contrast and brightness.

This thread has a little bit of everything.

PC vs. Mac
comparing different editing programs
color correction methods
color correction vs. lights vs. filter
filter vs. no filter

Your last attempt came out quite good.

I never got very good results trying to color correct GoPro video without a red-filter. I would shoot ProTune and Camera RAW. In shallow water it would be ok but at greater depths it was horrendous, way too blue/green.

If you can get consistently good results through a video editor without the use of a filter then your good. If not, use the red filter. Since video shot with a red filter is much more balanced color-wise, it makes it a lot easier for software to correct. All I ever had to do was use a simple WB tool and it came out golden all the time.
Im gonna try to keep getting good results using Raw with WB off, hopefully it works on other footage aswell.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2015 at 02:03 AM ----------

This thread has a little bit of everything.

PC vs. Mac
comparing different editing programs
color correction methods
color correction vs. lights vs. filter
filter vs. no filter

Knowledge is power!

I use a PC and edit video with "Cyberlink/Powerdirector" (not available for Mac).
A backlevel version 11 was made available for free by their company and I saved the download file from their promotion.
This version is more than adequate ...sharpness, tint, contrast, color correction, multiple formats,etc
Here is short 20 sec clip both unedited and edited:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WlRudI3XL8SDJ5VVNiTk9Za2M/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WlRudI3XL8YWFUc0ZIaUotZDg/view?usp=sharing

If you want to try to download the software, here is a link that worked last time I tried (*.exe file that was virus scanned):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WlRudI3XL8SHVhem96b2d5cTg/view?usp=sharing
the registration code provided by Cyberlink for above is:
VE2UH-D98ZK-8FWD7-MWFTV-EFN9D-T8M5C

I use GIMP and the Mandrake script-fu to correct still photos and it works quite well.

Just to stir up the pot ...a red filter is very convenient to get something quick/better, but is really unnecessary. When shooting raw or just one of the underwater settings, you are getting all the information reaching the sensor pixels. All a red colored filter can do is filter OUT information that you cannot retrieve later, it doesn't enhance anything. It also degrades the dynamic range by recording "darker" for any color that is NOT red.Same thing as an overexposed setting...anything that is "blown out" is non-retrievable... it is gone. If you have an opinion that contradicts my perspective, I might add that I worked as an optical engineer with my own lab for six years, including imaging technology, so above is NOT a debate.

Stew Corman

Just to stir up the pot ...a red filter is very convenient to get something quick/better, but is really unnecessary. When shooting raw or just one of the underwater settings, you are getting all the information reaching the sensor pixels. All a red colored filter can do is filter OUT information that you cannot retrieve later, it doesn't enhance anything. It also degrades the dynamic range by recording "darker" for any color that is NOT red.Same thing as an overexposed setting...anything that is "blown out" is non-retrievable... it is gone. If you have an opinion that contradicts my perspective, I might add that I worked as an optical engineer with my own lab for six years, including imaging technology, so above is NOT a debate.

Stew Corman

I agree with your statements. Filters do not add color and they make the image darker. A red filter filters out information. This is how filters work. No debate. However, a red filter filters out blue and green. The end result of using a red filter is the video looks more red to the human eye because blue and green information has been reduced. Filters have been around for a long time and plenty of people still use them today.

When you say the filter is unnecessary, is this from a science perspective or from your experiences shooting underwater video ? The video clips you posted, the colors don't look vibrant, unedited and edited. What camera did you use and what was your depth ? Photo is different than video.

Different cameras have different abilities handling low light, colors, white balance, etc.. Same goes for color editing programs. Now add in different dive conditions such as depth, water clarity, ambient light. I've been shooting underwater video for many years with several different cameras and different software editing programs. I definitely adjust color in editing, but I still use a filter.

There is a link to my videos in my signature if anyone wants to see my end results of using a filter. Various videos shot over the years, 5 different cameras. GoPro 3, Sony FX7, Panasonic LX7, Sony TRV900, Canon HV10. Editing done with Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. Filters used, URpro and Lee gel filter color bastard pink.

No one is forcing anyone to use or not use a filter. My choice is to use one because to my eyes, underwater video color looks better. I am not debating how filters work, I just strongly believe that for UW video, a filter is the easiest and most economical way improve color as seen by the human eye.

Last edited:
I think the type of filter is very important too..

I've tried PolarPro ones (on my old GoPro) and now using Magic-Filters ones (from Alex Mustard and Co) and the differences are outstanding. I think they spent a lot of time developing their our 'mixture' for the red as it really makes <30m images pop.

Stew Corman

True, RAW can do amazing things, however u try to create a balanced image in an environment with a heavily distorted spectrum. No filter = either your red channel will be underexposed/noisy or your green/blue overexposed. Your camera determines the exposure time/aperture based on the total light intensity, which at the surface distributes evenly across the RGB channels while at 20m/65'
distributes as follows: blue: 90%, green: 100%, red: ~15% or in other words: your red will miss ~3stops compared to the green. If filtered, the longer exposure/aperture might allow for some better reds. True however, ISO-boost on the dark image won't help much/anything...
(IR photographer & another engineer here - can't find that wetpixel thread on ICF-removed cameras).

Anyway, I also don't think filters are the ultimate solutions (I vote for warm, high CRI lights), but come very handy to ease PP even if your underexposed channels in the 4:4:4 raw footage (sic...) could be perfectly salvaged.

Last edited:
Video RAW and camera RAW are not the same thing.

Especially with the less expensive video cameras. Currently, consumer video RAW is way more limited in adjustment range. I'm sure there will come a day when consumer video RAW catches up, but I don't think we are quite there yet.

Video takes a lot of processing power. Both in the camera and in editing. 30p video is 30 individual pictures recorded in 1 second. 60p is 60 pictures in 1 second.

Yes, lights are the best way to bring out vibrant colors. But they can be expensive and limited in their range/coverage underwater.

Topside photography there are times when I prefer the look of ambient light vs. the flash. Yes, the flash will bring out more colors in the picture, but sometimes I want a more natural and less of a studio planned look.

Lights, filters, color correction in editing. Nice to have options and different "tools" to create a finished video to my liking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom