Koh Tachai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Big story on Thai TV and newspapers has been the damaged reefs at Koh Tachi; mostly off the famous and very beautiful Koh Tachai Beach.

The "Post Today" news asserts that day tourists are supposed to be limited to 60 per day but that as many as 800 are currently visiting each day.

The video shown on Thai Rath TV yesterday morning was horrendous. Tremendous damage with pretty much no live coral to be seen.

Last night The Nation Channel had the National Park head on. He had the nerve to assert that no more than 60 people visit per day!

Last time I dove Koh Tachai was January. We did the Pinnacle, which was as nice as ever. Haven't been to the beach for a year or so.

Of course, it's only within the last few years that high speed boats have made it possible to do Koh Tachai as a day trip.

Oddly, I haven't noticed anything in the English language press. Maybe today.

2014-03-18 10.00.39.jpg
March 2014 - Before the day-trippers arrived

Last edited:
Not seen the story yet in the papers or TV, but not surprising. The beach at Tachai was always a difficult place to get to as the reef was surrounding it and very shallow in parts, so even with a small zodiac there were limited places to get access to the sand.
The past couple of years there are now the fast speedboats that make daytrips possible here, so I can imagine the area is getting busier and busier, the same the Similans did when the first speedboats started to go there many years ago.
This is a problem with both the number of tourists visiting the island and the speedboat companies trying to access the beach which is not easy here.
I hope they find a solution soon, before it ends up like the Similans is now, but I am not hopeful as these trips are more expensive and therefor a better return income for the tour operators......
Or is that cynical??

The reefs around Koh Tachai were severely damaged by coral bleaching some years ago, that is what killed most of the shallow reefs. In my opinion the stress on the ecosystem from illegal fishing on the area is the reason why the recovery has been slow and in some areas non existent; algae has covered some reef areas preventing the coral from regrowing.
Personally, I don't think the issue is due to pollution or tourist activity (albeit less is always better in places like this).
However I haven't been there for the last two or three years, so maybe things have changed since then?

The reefs around Koh Tachai were severely damaged by coral bleaching some years ago, that is what killed most of the shallow reefs. In my opinion the stress on the ecosystem from illegal fishing on the area is the reason why the recovery has been slow and in some areas non existent; algae has covered some reef areas preventing the coral from regrowing.
Personally, I don't think the issue is due to pollution or tourist activity (albeit less is always better in places like this).
However I haven't been there for the last two or three years, so maybe things have changed since then?

I just came back from a two trips to Koh Tachai. The reefs were greatly affected by the 2009 rapid warming event. In addition, overfishing and damage from pollution and tourism has not helped the corals. There is new coral growth at Koh Bon and at Koh Tachai pinnacle, but it will be years before these reefs come back to their former glory. I feel that the diversity and health of the coral reefs and fisheries will not fare well with increasing ocean warming, fishing, and tourism. One interesting observation is that mantas are back at the Tachai pinnacle (along the ridge). The downside is that many divers chase after the mantas and do not keep their distance from these beautiful creatures.

Below is a photograph one on the four mantas that visiting us during four dives at Koh Bon (1 female and 3 males). Photography courtesy of Arend K.

Attachments

• ArendG9 2015-02-28-18769.jpg
    ArendG9 2015-02-28-18769.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
The reef at Koh Tachai was damaged by the tsunami many years ago. The damage done now is by daytrip tourists to the reefs close to the island, not to the reefs we mostly dive at.

It is not a good development and a solution needs to be found, but for divers the present influx of snorkelers has not much effect.

The reef at Koh Tachai was damaged by the tsunami many years ago. The damage done now is by daytrip tourists to the reefs close to the island, not to the reefs we mostly dive at.

It is not a good development and a solution needs to be found, but for divers the present influx of snorkelers has not much effect.

A Thai friend of mine working for an NGO has shared some photos on his Facebook page,I see now that speedboats are going to the island and dropping anchor on the corals; that is another kettle of fish altogether and should be stopped ASAP.

Another article in Bangkok Post says that limits on visitors will now be applied. I am very curious to see how that will work in practice.
Bangkokpost.com

The article also says
When it came to transparency in collecting park entrance fees, Mr Nat said every company must distribute tickets to each customer to prevent bribery and corruption.

The last time I was given a paper ticket to any Thai marine park was back in the 90s. I still have them. I wonder what has happened to the dozens and dozens I've paid for since?

Transparency indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom