SRP tray VS Ikelite Steady tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just spent 10 days in Truk evaluating three different trays, including the Ikelite. It's pretty sharp and amazingly well-finished. Combined with locline arms - instead of the Ikelite arms - it's very light and well balanced.

I opted to not get the pistol grip, instead using an SP Gadgets "dive buoy" handle mounted to an additional tripod mount I put on the tray using the hole provided for the pistol grip. The ability to vary the position/angle of the handle made for great flexibility. The fact that the handle is buoyant offsets the weight of rig overall (lghts/arms/tray) making it nothing to carry on a dive. The handle can also be filled with water to keep it neutral or adjust by varying the amount of water.

1033179.jpg

I put in the backscatter tray also... Single or double handle... It's really light. If that is an consideration... It's way lighter then the srp tray

Leaning towards the ikelite one seeing as it seems lighter. The backscatter one just looks awful tbh.
Will either the trays allow me to press the record button while still holding on to the tray properly? I.e turning it off and on using only my thumb.

Leaning towards the ikelite one seeing as it seems lighter. The backscatter one just looks awful tbh.
Will either the trays allow me to press the record button while still holding on to the tray properly? I.e turning it off and on using only my thumb.

What sort of light arms do you expect to use?

PS - unless you are an orangutan you won't be using your thumb, but rather your pointer-finger.

What sort of light arms do you expect to use?

PS - unless you are an orangutan you won't be using your thumb, but rather your pointer-finger.
LOL. aight. I'm not sure as I don't have any lights atm and not sure if I'm going to get any.

The SRP tray is only ~1/2-3/4 pounds heavier than the backscatter dual grip (I have both)

the SRP is great that you can tip it over and use as a tripod, the handles also easily unscrew for packing transport.

the SRP also supports extra filter mounts for their bare SO mount clip on filter system. I can fit 2-3 filter mounts on their tray.

I've yet to dive with the flex arm tripod, but it will provide flexible positional rock steady video for macromate or +10 diopter close up lens work.

see my SRP tray system here, compared to the simple bent piece of aluminum Backscatter weenie tray.

twin SOLA 2000 lumen lights rock the house. :D

Attachments

• sola3.jpg
    sola3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 256
  • sola5.jpg
    sola5.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 231
The SRP tray is only ~1/2-3/4 pounds heavier than the backscatter dual grip (I have both)

the SRP is great that you can tip it over and use as a tripod, the handles also easily unscrew for packing transport.

the SRP also supports extra filter mounts for their bare SO mount clip on filter system. I can fit 2-3 filter mounts on their tray.

I've yet to dive with the flex arm tripod, but it will provide flexible positional rock steady video for macromate or +10 diopter close up lens work.

see my SRP tray system here, compared to the simple bent piece of aluminum Backscatter weenie tray.

twin SOLA 2000 lumen lights rock the house. :D
That setup is beautiful! Shame lights are so expensive :( still not sure on what tray to get yet, oh well I'll go with whatever feels right at the moment when I make the purchase

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom