Meikon Housings for NEX-5, 6 & 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Late answer but since I read this thread myself before my buy, I thought it might be good with some more information.

I have a Nex 6 and dive with #3 house. So far only six dives but the house has operated well down to 28 meters. Every button is accesible even though some of them are a little bit hard to manouvre with thick gloves.
Biggest issue I have is the movie-button that I accidently push all the time. Luckily you can inactivate the moviebutton in the menue of the camera.

My house came with one spare o-ring, that one had a dent and was faulty from the beginning. As always, be verya careful with the o-ring and check thouroughly.

Another issue. I have the 16-50 lens, but the housing is 18-55. The reason I choosed this was that I wanted an 8mm extension tube inside. I thought it would fit bet the house is one mm to short.
The housing work but I can not shoot at 16 mm cause then I get a little bit of the inside of the house in my photos. But from 19mm all is ok.

Nauticam housings are a work of art and command a hefty price.

I posted this on the regular U/W Photo forum. It appears that Meikon now makes 67mm wide angle wet lenses for the housings. They cost $230 on Amazon.

I just bought this combo last night.
$109 for the housing, and $170 for the dome lens. (ebay via China)
Picked up the 5N with 18-55 off Craigslist the night before.

Can't wait to use it.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2014 at 07:40 PM ----------

Another issue. I have the 16-50 lens, but the housing is 18-55. The reason I choosed this was that I wanted an 8mm extension tube inside. I thought it would fit bet the house is one mm to short.
The housing work but I can not shoot at 16 mm cause then I get a little bit of the inside of the house in my photos. But from 19mm all is ok.

Check out the fisheye dome lens that attaches to these things.
$170ish via Tokee Light on ebay. (made by Meikon).

THis guy does an excellent write up of this setup:
More on the Meikon - Lloyd Clearihan Imagery

Meikon RX100 series, NEX7, 6, 5R 16-50mm housing can connect their fisheye dome port, 18-55mm need adapter, found this meikon fisheye only cost $185 with free shipping

Thanks for that . Really doesnt sound like it is the best quality. Really worth risking your camera with such a cheap housing? Dont know

gear-5r-gopro.jpg

The quality of the Meikon housings have improved a lot and this setup worked fine under 26m / 85ft of water. I used both cameras for videos and stills - examples here & here. 5R's APS-C sensor really makes a big difference when light level gets low and GoPro's wide FOV is great.

gear-uw-fov.jpg

This shows the FOV of both cameras. Overall this is a very reasonably priced yet capable setup for family dive trips.

Last edited:
So... an update of my purchases over the past few months...

...here's what I took last weekend with my Nex/Meikon/BigBlue combo on a night dive.

Gear:
Nex 5N
18-55 kit lens @ 20mm (had to zoom in slightly to clear the lens tube)
2 x Big Blue VL2500 lights
Intova tray
Intova ball arms
Meikon Housing
Meikon wide angle wet lens

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...-2015-01-03-blue-heron-bridge-night-dive.html

Most of the photos were taken inches away from the subjects in full auto mode.
I was stunned with the results.

I HATE the interface of this camera, but wow... the performance can't be beat for the dirt cheap price the camera and housing costs. I am still not a fan of Sony, but I have no regrets with my purchase!!

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

Thanks for that . Really doesnt sound like it is the best quality. Really worth risking your camera with such a cheap housing? Dont know

I've had my Meikon down to 130ft a few times now, no issues.
Just make sure to get the black housing, not the clear one.
Meikon is REALLY trying to get into the OEM market and will be (from what I heard) producing the OEM housings for some of the big camera makers soon.

Please check:
Sony

I suggest you buy newer model like housing for 5R or A6000
Old model of NB housing is not very reliable

Hi to every one,

May be this thread is old but somebody can answer I hope. I am thinking to buy this housing for sony nex 6 but, I would like to learn if it is possible to connect fiber optic cable for strobes,

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom