Need Advice on Where to do DMT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ekkie1218

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thought I might get some helpful advice. I am a rescue diver with over 500 who has been diving all over the world. I am finally going to do my DMT and I think I have narrowed it down to either Costa Rica or Utila. Which will give me the better diving but also a good social atmosphere to meet and hang with people outside of diving? I am worried that except for Isla de Coco that Costa Rica's diving might be a little banal based on what I have heard after having been diving at the best sites around the world. Since I will be there diving for several weeks I just want to make sure it will be enjoyable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Erika

Did not care for the diving there in Costa Rica. Found vis poor and cold. Where do you plan on using your dm rating?
i would suggest doing it where you plan to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
Utila in town. Which is really about the only place you can do DM anyway. I don't have a specific shop suggestion. IDK if the AI resorts even offer it but they're on the south side a short boat ride from town - there's no road so all access is via boat.

If you can get there in the next 45 days, you might be able to snorkel with the Whalesharks also. That sort of tapers off in Summer and picks up around Sept/Oct. also. Although in a recent year they saw them every month. I suspect a lot of them move up thru Belize (Gladden Spit) and wind up in Holbox for the summer but that's not based on any facts - just seems too coincidental that the "seasons" align that way.

Roatan's West End is an alternative also possibly. At least a dozen shops or more offer DMT training there. You don't need a car to get around - except for major food shopping - and cabs are reasonable. Almost all the nightlife on Roatan is in that one mile stretch also. We did some socializing most nights and on DMT graduation day - Friday.

Similar diving to Utila, same if not more training options and some of the shops offer more affordable accommodations for trainees in business owned/affiliated properties nearby. GoProCaribbean is one option.

Not that most of Utila isn't similar also - it's just a much smaller place, personally I'd be bored there sooner.

First you need to choose location. As suggested I would probably go for West End in Roatan or Utila. The former caters more to slightly better and more experienced divers, as well as a bit more mature people in general. The latter if you prefer younger, more party-like nightlife, lots and lots of young people coming and going every week. Im more of the serious type, and I still had a good time in Utila. It's just cute. To me, Roatan is a bit more "gringo" and Utila a bit more "trashy euro". Also, if you are looking for lots of class experience (assisting), Utila is probably the place. They ran far more courses than Roatan, as a general note: Utila is about learning to dive, Roatan is more about diving. Again, it's the way I see it.

Second, you need to choose the type of shop where you want to do your DMT. You can go to a big shop that runs lots of courses and has a lot os staff, many people, lots of customers, say Utila Dive Center or Coconut Tree Divers on the Roatan side. Or you can do it at a small shop, let's say Deep Blue in Utila, or Reef Gliders in Roatan. The big shop/volume and the small shop experience are quite different. I wouldn't say one is better or worse than the other. It's just two very different approaches to what you learn.

Again, on the bigger shops like UDC you will get LOTS of experience in courses, you will get lots of experience on a multitude of things since they usually run very tight, complete courses. But you will feel like you are one more little bolt in the system. If you do your DMT with Reef Gliders for example, you will get loads of experience dealing with real diving customers (not backpackers that will probably become Instructors or not dive ever again), with more everyday dive shop mechanics and stuff.

It's hard to go wrong. Both experiences are very cool. But you need to decide what your personality is compatible with. Im a bit of an ADD sufferer, so I need constant stuff happening, and that's why many years ago I chose UDC, because it provided me with that non stop "action". You need to choose what you feel you are compatible with.

I will vote for West end in roatan...
I think its cover all your requisites, great dive and full of very professional dive centers where to do your DMT. Is important to be where dive logisitic are easy and have many dive activities going on daily. If I can recommend one I will say check out Splash inn.
For social life is great too and as for diving, logistics are easy and plenty :)

I chose Utila Dive Center when I did my DM...and I could not have been happier with my training. Out of all of the PADI, BSAC and GUE courses I have taken the UTD DM course was my favorite.

I wrote a review back in 2012...maybe I can find it.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2015 at 11:12 PM ----------

Here is my UDC review... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...ew-utila-dive-centers-divemaster-program.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom