Future Marine Biologist!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FMB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, my name is Jasmine, I'm 18 and I'm a Marine Biology major in college. I currently live in Texas but was raised in France. I start my classes to get my certification on Tuesday and I'm pretty excited! Not exactly sure what to wear since they said they won't be giving us wetsuits. Can't wait to get many different certifications and equipment and start traveling and diving everywhere.

Congratulations. And welcome Jasmine! I hope you enjoy and do well in your certifications and enjoy a long career using SCUBA!

DD

Hello and welcome to SB, Jasmine! What a great field of study and life of diving you have ahead of you. I can't wait. Best of luck to you and let us know if there are any things we can help you with along your journey.

Consider doing a Search on 'Marine Biologist' on the forum and reviewing some of the threads. Seems way more people take an interest in it than ultimately make a living doing it. Some significant hurdles. Be aware.

If you're about to start Open Water Diver classes, you'll start with academics, then later do pool sessions to learn/practice skills, and later do 'open water' checkout dives to demonstrate adequate mastery to become a certified OW diver. 'Open Water' could be a flooded quarry, the ocean, a number of places. There's probably some place around you can rent a wet suit, and if you're going to dive much, you'll probably want to buy one.

Richard.

Thanks! I'm assuming I'll learn all the different terms and all in my classes. Just browsing around through the threads I've learned some things.

Consider doing a Search on 'Marine Biologist' on the forum and reviewing some of the threads. Seems way more people take an interest in it than ultimately make a living doing it. Some significant hurdles. Be aware.

If you're about to start Open Water Diver classes, you'll start with academics, then later do pool sessions to learn/practice skills, and later do 'open water' checkout dives to demonstrate adequate mastery to become a certified OW diver. 'Open Water' could be a flooded quarry, the ocean, a number of places. There's probably some place around you can rent a wet suit, and if you're going to dive much, you'll probably want to buy one.

Richard.

I'm looking forward to hurdles and challenges. It's the best part; learning to overcome challenges in order to achieve your dreams. I'd love to get a Ph.D in Marine Biology but I'm not sure if that'd be worth it. I plan to minor in something like zoology as well. I also wouldn't mind relocating to Australia to help with the Reef or to Hawaii or some other place I'm needed. Next year, if everything falls into place, I'll be going on the Odyssey Expeditions 21 day trip for upcoming Marine Biologists. I'll also be buying my own equipment once I get a job that pays enough.

One thing I'd recommend to college freshmen in most any discipline is keep an open mind. 'Life happens,' and as John Lennon told us, Life is what happens while you're making other plans. Hope this works out for you.

At age 18, there's a decent chance you'll get married in the next few years. You don't have to, of course. The majority of people eventually have kids; you don't have to, of course. A spouse may not want to move to Australia. Grandparents may want the grand kids kept in the U.S. so they can see them more. I suspect Australia turns out enough Marine Biology grad.s to fill its employment needs in that regard, and wouldn't be surprised if employers tend to favor their own nationality over immigrants; be interesting to hear if anyone knows differently (I'm speculating but logically).

It may become a life long passion even if not a vocation. As I said, hope it works out for you.

Consider posting back to this thread in about 10 years & letting us know what happened. Would make an interesting story.

Richard.

I'm already married. :p

I'll definitely give an update after my schooling has been completed and I find work or an internship.

howdy and welcome......good luck in your studies and endeavors...

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom