Bottom Timer vs Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bottom timer will tell you depth (max) and time in the water. Some will give ascent info. A depth timer may or may not be a computer. My first gauge was a depth gauge / bottom timer. I used it for square and multi-level dives.

Some of the more modern computers can be anything based on the software. So a BT can be come a dive computer.
There appear to be various flavours of "bottom timers".

Most basic is a waterproof "stop watch". i use an elcheapo $25 timex for this.

Next step up is a multi dive timer. My sherwood bottom timer is pressure activated, counts the number of dives in last 24 hours, displays surface interval time and bottom duration of current / last dive.

Next step up would be something like the uwatec bottom timer which also includes a pressure sensor to record maximum depth.

There appear to be various flavours of "bottom timers".

Most basic is a waterproof "stop watch". i use an elcheapo $25 timex for this.

Next step up is a multi dive timer. My sherwood bottom timer is pressure activated, counts the number of dives in last 24 hours, displays surface interval time and bottom duration of current / last dive.

Next step up would be something like the uwatec bottom timer which also includes a pressure sensor to record maximum depth.

Well put. And if one really wants to rank the various types of instruments that are "bottom timers" from Timex watch on up in terms of sophistication, then even above the Uwatec bottom timer I would add dive computer to the list. A dive computer is a bottom timer, though most people don't think of it that way because the whole point of having a dive computer is to let it compute decompression information for you.

It's occurred to me that maybe the original question here was prompted by requirements for taking a course. If you take a course in which you're going to learn to use tables or some other method of determining decompression information other than a dive computer, the instructor might tell you to bring with you to class, at a minimum, "a bottom timer and a depth gauge." From what I've seen, instructors will say a dive computer serves just fine as a combined bottom timer and depth gauge for purposes of such a course. (Just like the Uwatec.) You could switch a dive computer to gauge mode during class if it has such a mode, but it's not absolutely necessary--so long as the thing displays your bottom time, it's a "bottom timer."

You could switch a dive computer to gauge mode during class if it has such a mode, but it's not absolutely necessary--so long as the thing displays your bottom time, it's a "bottom timer."
As long as you don't lock it out. Which apparently can happen if you are using totally different gasses than the computer thinks and a chart developed with a different deco algorithm than your computer uses.

Well put. And if one really wants to rank the various types of instruments that are "bottom timers" from Timex watch on up in terms of sophistication, then even above the Uwatec bottom timer I would add dive computer to the list. A dive computer is a bottom timer, though most people don't think of it that way because the whole point of having a dive computer is to let it compute decompression information for you.

It's occurred to me that maybe the original question here was prompted by requirements for taking a course. If you take a course in which you're going to learn to use tables or some other method of determining decompression information other than a dive computer, the instructor might tell you to bring with you to class, at a minimum, "a bottom timer and a depth gauge." From what I've seen, instructors will say a dive computer serves just fine as a combined bottom timer and depth gauge for purposes of such a course. (Just like the Uwatec.) You could switch a dive computer to gauge mode during class if it has such a mode, but it's not absolutely necessary--so long as the thing displays your bottom time, it's a "bottom timer."

I discovered 1 bonus of the timex watch during our last trip - it will tell me when lunch time is! Since it is a watch, it also serves as a watch. unfortunately it's factory programming appears to include the awesome "beep every hour" feature. took me a few dives to figure out I was the "beeping idiot". I now have a todo to try and figure out how to stop it from beeping every hour.

Use a bottom timer if you want to dive tables, dive a computer if you want to take advantage of your true nitrogen exposure, i.e., the multilevel dive

Use a bottom timer if you want to dive tables, dive a computer if you want to take advantage of your true nitrogen exposure, i.e., the multilevel dive

Or a Wheel.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom