trip report Cozumel March 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wrote this and remembered to post it on another forum, but not here. I like to post here as well, as folks are always very kind about sharing their experiences.

Headed down to Cozumel for a 6 night family vacation March 7-13, 2015.

Stayed: Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Dive Op: Opals Dream dive shop Scuba Diving in Cozumel mexico Diving tours Buceo
Weather – highs in the mid 80’s, lows about 70, rained hard one evening for an hour or so, otherwise anywhere from partly cloudy to mostly sunny. Winds were 10-20mph out of the East/NE, East, or East/SE – depending on the day. However since it was all version of easterly wind as far as diving is converned it is the friendly direction.
Water temp 77f-79f, water was mostly flat with the Cozumel version of choppy in the afternoon when the wind would get above 15mph. I’m sure folks on the larger boats didn’t even notice much.
Current very mild this week.
Made 10 tanks through the week, 5 days of AM 2 tank diving. Opals has their regular boat (Flaying Fish) being painted (looks really good too) so we were on a rental boat all week…no biggy but I miss their regular captain Orlando/Kung Fu Panda. Dove with Ishi, or Sergio all week. I think the most we had on the boat was 4 or 5 divers, as usual very personalized experience.
Everyone was diving their air/computer limits. They even brought in 100’s for one of the big guys (I mean it he was 6’5” if he was a foot, so that he could enjoy better bottom times. Most of our first dives were between 50-60 minutes, and our second dives were about an hour, as always if folks hit their air/computer limits they were sent to safety stop and boat in buddy pairs so that divers who were still ok to dive could enjoy all the bottom time they could safely soak up.
We had not been to Cozumel since October of 2013. For a while we were going twice a year, I forgot how good the diving is there. What we saw on the dives:
Eagle rays, I don’t think we went a day without seeing an eagle ray. The most exciting thing we saw was an eagle ray breech/jump out of the water from underneath. I have no video of it, it simply happened too fast, and was far enough away it wouldn’t have really come out well anyway. However, it’s a sight. I never imagined they could flap their ‘wings’ that fast. They get vertical from the bottom and go on a flapping rampage shooting straight up. It was something. We went back (by request of the divers) to Cedral wall 3 times over the week, and every time it would yield sharks, and eagle rays. On one dive: 7 sharks, 2 eagle rays (including the breech/jump), puffer/porcupine, eels, lobster – just amazing. There was one other standout, but the wife and daughter got to see it, a Moray Eel hunting then eating a crab. I hear the final scene was it swimming away with half a claw sticking out of it’s mouth. As usual if I’m filming I hang back kind of far, so I only got to see him swim off in the distance, too bad. Tormentos was just covered in trigger fish, we went twice (again, our request) just gorgeous. The lobster seem to know the season just ended, they were out in plain site a handful of times, crawling around.

It beat the pants off any week we have had in Roatan, Curacao, or Belize. We are headed back to Roatan in June for 5 nights, to stay and dive on the North – west end area. I’m curious to see how that stacks up – since we’ve only done the South before. It will be hard to beat what we just did.
The daughter wants to do her AOW, so we’ll likely come back to Cozumel for that during fall break. Dollar for dollar, Cozumel has to be one of the best dive experiences in the Caribbean, particularly if you are coming out of the southern US, where’s it’s cheap and fast to fly from. I can typically book flight/hotel packages for about half of other locations.

The hotel: I’ve stayed there many times before. I’ve done trip reports on it. I won’t rehash everything. Check out tripadvisor. Hotel Cozumel and resort can be summed up into this. The rooms/grounds are nice, 3 star resort. The food can be kind of blah (though I continue to love deserts there). However, all inclusive typically costs me about $30 per person per day, and at that price I don’t mind paying it, having breakfast/lunch, snacks, drinks covered – and going out and buying a nice dinner every other night. Their setup for diving is 2nd to none – gear lockers, showers, rinse tanks, hangers, all by the pier. You can use those no matter which operator you dive with and there is no charge to use the pier for other dive ops. Having the lunch setup right next to the dive locker/rinse area is brilliant…rinse gear, hang gear, get food/drink – put gear in locker.

Dive op: We continue to use Opal’s Dream. They are a great small shop. The boats typically take no more than 6-7 divers. There’s a single DM, and the captain. They are small/fast boats. Surface intervals are typically at the beach near your dive site. Bottled water and fruit/melon/sweets are typically offered during SI. Almost all dive ops in Cozumel are good. Though not all will allow you to dive your air/computer limits and Opals does. What draws me back to Opals every time, I never feel like a customer. I feel like a friend diving with his friends. The cost of diving has risen slightly over the last couple years. Shops that use to charge 60, now charge 75. Shops that use to charge 75 are now charging 90. Opals quotes you 75 for a single day diving. I paid 70, for 2 tanks, for 3 divers, for 5 days. That included tax and the park fee (so really it was 68, $2 park fee). They are a bargain. I’m sure I could go for a bit cheaper with an op like dive paradise, but I don’t care for those big slow boats full of divers, and the fast boats which are similar to Opals are more expensive. The service is great. On the first day my daughter’s octo was leaking a little air. Ishi took it in at the end of the day, took it apart, cleaned it up, tuned it up – worked great all week – no charge, I tipped him for it, since he wouldn’t charge me. If you like at the end of every dive day they will keep your gear on the boat – rinse/hang it, and have it back on a tank the next day for you. We didn’t touch our bc/reg from day1, till day 5.
Ok, I’m gushing. They are good people, and run a great outfit.

Finally to the video...some footage I shot across the entire week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CM-V4nbYSk

Using an intova SP2, galaxy 2500, and at various times a red filter.

enjoyed your report and loved the 8 minute video! What a great parting shot of the turtle heading to the surface as your ending...
Thanks for sharing here and for taking the time to put it together.
Continued safe bubbles to you.

Thanks for the report. Great video! I loved the turtle eating a sponge while three different species of angels waited for scraps! The reaction of the turtle when the bubbles hit him as he ascended was priceless!

Very nice report! Thanks for sharing. I too, enjoyed the turtle chomping away while the variety of angelfish were gettin' some freebies!

We leave for Cozumel April 4th. Staying at Scuba Club Cozumel. Can't wait to get out of here . . . But dealing with a sinus infection and upper respiratory crap - 12 days to get rid of it.

thanks all for comments on the video...I'm still learning.

@Reidster - well, 12 days is usually what it takes a cold to shake out. I swear by the airborne tablets which claim to end colds faster. I take them 2x per day during a cold and believe it helps it end sooner.

Keep in mind that you can't get pseudophedaryne (sp?) in Mexico...only the less effective phenelphryne (again sp?). So if you think you'll need some stock up (I know you aren't suppose to use that for a crutch when diving, but I also know many who do).

In the mean time I wish you clear sinuses, asap.

Ray

I had the crud before our recent trip. Doc gave me a "Z" pack 5 day steroid thing. fixed me up. Had a little issue on second dive but was able to work out underwater.

Nice review - Nice video.

Not sure who the diver is at 5:19 but that is a total no no.

Guess they're trying to limit the number of meth labs there? :D
That's exactly the issue. They don't have the computer infrastructure that the US has to enable them to enforce limits on sales of pseudoephedrine, so they outlaw its OTC sale completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom