Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fun dive at the Monterey Breakwater last night with Raftingtigger & some other dive club friends.

Flat seas & good viz (she reported 30+ feet from an afternoon dive there). We were joined early by a harbor seal & saw lots of crabs and schools of small fish (for my 3D camera).

43 feet max depth, 76 minutes, 53F

The highlight of the dive was this Spiny Lobster Raftingtigger spotted:

I've been diving Monterey since '87 and this is the first I've seen here.

Wow, great stuff! I had heard they had been spotted before, good eyes Cheryl!

Did a couple of dives with Mike and Baerbel. Ist dive North Monastery. Entry and exit was easy since we got in and out during the small sets. Mike lead the dive. Descended at a different spot that I am accustomed to and went to about 80', vis was between 40-50'. It was like a new dive spot since I followed someone else s route. Sun was not out as much as we would like but vis was great! It was cold 49˚-52˚ depending on which computer. Saw a couple of divers on rebreathers and also saw a side mount tank diver.
Second dive Lovers2, easy dive, vis was about 20+. Vis was probably better earlier in the day.

Did one dive at breakwater yesterday along the wall. Dropped down at the 7 and spotted a few juvenile sheepshead. visibility was 20-30ft, 54* water was blue and calm. great time to dive, get out there if you can.

Fun dive at the Monterey Breakwater last night with Raftingtigger & some other dive club friends.

Flat seas & good viz (she reported 30+ feet from an afternoon dive there). We were joined early by a harbor seal & saw lots of crabs and schools of small fish (for my 3D camera).

43 feet max depth, 76 minutes, 53F

The highlight of the dive was this Spiny Lobster Raftingtigger spotted:

I've been diving Monterey since '87 and this is the first I've seen here.

I've probably dove Breakwater a couple hundred times and have never seen a lobster there. Very cool!

A quick search of the NorCal section shows a couple of sightings in the 2010 to 2012 period.

Apparently they live fine in colder water but need warmer water to breed.

Wow, great stuff! I had heard they had been spotted before, good eyes Cheryl!

Thanks Keith, but when an edible sized lobster saunters right past under your nose it is hard to miss. Blinked a few times thinking I was dreaming.

All in all a fun Saturday in Monterey. Dive #1 was Lover's #1 in the morning with very flat conditions but significant surge in the shallows. Made it to 39' max, avg 26' for 120 min. At the start of the dive I played for several minutes with a Thety's Vagina (yes that did amuse my 20 and 22 yo sons), and a few other weird creatures. Finally had to call the dive as I was getting cold.

P3210005 (2).jpgP3210010 (2).jpg

Dive #2 was a late afternoon one at Breakwall. Again flat surface conditions with very little surge and good viz. No camera as I was mentoring a friend, but we got buzzed by a cormorant.

Dive #3 was the night dive with 3Ddiver. Mis-set my camera and missed the great video I got of a medium octopus (3x the size of the typical red ones).

By the end I had accumulated over 4 hours in 3 shore dives, so inspite of great conditions on Sunday called it a weekend and went home.

Breakwater yesterday had around 10-15 vis. It got to about 20 away from the wall and at 50 ft. Another diver who dove the barge said they had 30ft vis or better in spots. Left camera in truck for my dive. Felt like I was missing a tank or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom