Panasonic GH4 settings for underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
Does anyone out there have the Panny GH4? I would love to know what settings/lenses you find most useful for underwater video.

I have the Olympus 60mm macro and Panny 7-14 and a Nauticam housing. Now I just need some trigger time.

Chris

Those lenses will cover you well (depending on what kind of shooting you like to do). I use those same lenses, as well as the Oly 12-50 in the Nauticam port with the macro mode. The 60mm macro is great for small subjects (when shooting in 4k, equivalent to 138mm on FF and 86mm on APS-C), but is definitely not suited for fish portraits. The 7-14m is an amazing wide angle lens, but you will have a decent gap between the lenses depending your shooting style.

My recommendations based on my experiences with the camera over the last year: Shoot in Cinelike-V profile (can be a little over saturated, which can be dialed down if not to your liking. Decent on noise). Shoot in manual focus (I have trigger focus disabled, and pre-focus using back-button focus). I shoot everything in 4K (with mp4 wrapper) and downrez to 1080 in Premiere Pro.

You can see my GH4 footage here (all shot in Southern California). (Do a search here and over at wetpixel for more discussion on individual experiences with this camera):
https://vimeo.com/album/3092917

Back
Top Bottom