Has anyone ever used a mask mounted light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Light control is so much more important and very unforgiving with a head mounted light.

They have their uses when working with 2 hands. When instructing, if you can't see your student in front of you, you probably need to cancel the dive.

If you're instructing with your hands not on the student, a handheld in a light sock/goodman handle is more versatile.
Instructing hands on the student you definitely don't want a headmounted light.

I prefer to use a headlamp instead of a mask-mounted light.

As others have stated above, you tend to blind your buddies with these types of lights.

I use my headlamp only for looking at my camera rig. That way I can hold and manipulate the camera with both hands and still see

Mine sits in my junk box.
First time I tried to use it there were a lot of small critters in the water and the light attracted all of them.
I had a cloud in front of my mask and another few hundred burrowing under my hood, into my hair, ears and down my neck.
Probably the most nauseating experience I ever had in my life.
I can't even look at it without remembering.

I have used these lights for several years now. They are not blinding but bright enough to check gauges and wrist mounted computers. They are overpriced on EBay. These are great little lights that don't get in the way. They use a single AAA battery and have a twist on switch. This is a quality light, and like I said, does not blind your buddy. https://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/backuplt.shtml#3022 Mark

To mount backup lights on a helmet is a normal practice for cave divers. Already in the Cavern course they learn not to blind their buddies. I don't see why this mask-mount light could not be equally useful.

I have a powerful light mounted on my ffm. If I am diving with a buddy, I simply shut it off when I look at him. Most of the time even in dark water I don't use it, unless if I'm looking for small objects.

I have used similar mask/head mounted light after talking to Edd in Cave Advanterers. He like it for his usage. I don't think it is appropriate for buddy/team diving at all. If you are diving solo, it can be a great tools. There is a difference between diving in a team vs. a few solo divers diving together. Also, head mounted light may work well in clear water, it is very poor in low viz. Because the light is so close to your eyes, there is lots of back scatter.

Santa Barbara Island SO CAL, April 1998. Night dive, first time I used it. The last time I used one: Santa Barbara Island, SO CAL, April 1998, same dive. First time and last time. I took of the mount, put it on a lanyard, and made it my tiny little 3rd sometimes 4th back up. Little light just sits in my bc pocket waiting for it's moment.
DivemasterDennis

I have one - the only time I really use it is when we have the Lake Travis underwater cleanup in the fall. It can help me spot cans, bottles, etc. in the muck and frees both hands to hold the mesh bag and pick up trash. Other than that - it pretty much stays in my mask case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom