Talk to me about PST HP120s and Hydro - First hand accounts only please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say is that both of my PST HP120 tanks failed. One failed hydro due to over-expansion. Probably the result of hot fills at one fill station here. The other failed a VIP due to extensive rust. Probably the result of wet fills on California dive boats. The two tanks were dedicated... the first to shore diving and the second to boat diving. Not sure how typical my experience with them is though.

I'm sorry for your loss, doc.

just called the shop -- the one I sent in on the 12 apparently came back fine since they are agreeing to fill it :) Roughly $50 including the fill & taxes.

old thread, but just got my HP120's back from their hydro. Passed with flying colors, they said they both would have passed on the prestretch which is nice. Still my favorite tanks!

I don't think my personal experience with PST HP120s may be typical, but I wouldn't buy them for myself. My first one failed hydro due to over-expansion. The only thing we could figure out was that it was due to too many hot fills at one air station. The second one failed VIP due to excessive rust and couldn't be tumbled. That one was used almost exclusively on dive boats and probably succumbed to wet fills. Since then I've dived neutral buoyancy Al 80s, both vintage 1970s. When the last one was VIPed, the shop owner said it looked like it was brand new! I don't think they'd solve your problem re: sidemount, but dual Al 80s would be fine for my deep diving.

Anyone have any info on E9791 being renewed past January 2015 ? That's not too far away.

Hi Flowthru1,

Did you get an answer to your question? I have 5 tanks that are E9791 exemption tanks. I would like to know if I can get these hydro tested when needed.

markm

yes, if you want them hydro'd do it now, the exemption expires in a few days, otherwise it has been submitted for renewal, but hasn't gone through yet, should be going through shortly, so you might have to wait a week. No one is really concerned that the tanks are junk, though if you want to get rid of them, I'm sure many people especially in cave country will gladly take them off of your hands.

The company doesn't directly have to file for renewal, it can be renewed by other means, but PST and Worthington have committed to renewing the permits. PST is still making CNG bottles, though their website is currently down.

yes, if you want them hydro'd do it now, the exemption expires in a few days, otherwise it has been submitted for renewal, but hasn't gone through yet, should be going through shortly, so you might have to wait a week. No one is really concerned that the tanks are junk, though if you want to get rid of them, I'm sure many people especially in cave country will gladly take them off of your hands.

The company doesn't directly have to file for renewal, it can be renewed by other means, but PST and Worthington have committed to renewing the permits. PST is still making CNG bottles, though their website is currently down.

To the best of my knowledge,the Darling family closed up shop after their plant was demolished in a condemnation process and the Korean venture failed. Please provide your source that says they are still doing CNG.

OOPS... just noticed I've commented on this thread previously. Chalk it up to Old Timers.

Hydro'ing PST tanks should not be a big deal for any decent test center. The exemption has been renewed into 2018.

I've owned two PST HP120s. Both of them failed eventually. The first failed due to over expansion on a hydro. It may not have been the fault of the tank itself as even the manager of the topside fill station that filled it suggested too many hot fills may have been the cause. The second one failed a VIP due to extensive rust inside. It had been used almost exclusively on dive boats here in SoCal.

I switched to neutral buoyancy Al 80s (already had one and bought a second). Both are vintage 1970s. When I had the last VIP, the dive shop owner called me over to look at the inside of the tank. It was spotless. He said it looked like the tank had just come from the manufacturer (after 40 years of diving it!).

Mine passed Hydro no problem, picked them up 2 weeks ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom