What ARE these things?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral-Reefer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took my new Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins out of the bag and afterwards found these two little items. They can actually thread into each other. I have never seen them before so I can only assume they fell out of the bag that was holding the fins. Any idea what they are for?
20150329_085153.jpg20150329_085354.jpg

Not that I have found. The rubber heel straps snap onto the plastic stud on the fins and there are no threads that I can see. But, these fins came through the mail (Sorry, LDS's, no one stocked them) and one of the white shape keepers that are on the ends of the fins was missing. So, maybe these little buggers got accidentally dropped in the bag.

They are extensions for the bungee straps. To make them a little longer if needed.

As has already been posted. Use one per fin if required. If still too short you'd need to go up to the next size strap. The difference between diff size straps is approx 3cm, the extenders are approx 1.5cm which is why you only get two, one for each strap. AFAIK you cannot buy them as a separate part, well I couldn't when I tried anyway, no idea why.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2015 at 10:57 AM ----------

Pop the buckle off the post and unscrews the buckle from the bungee. At the end of the bungee is a threaded end which screws onto the adaptors, it's quite well thought out.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

Sometimes they can be hard to unscrew and screw by hand, I use an adjustable crescent/wrench/spanner.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2015 at 11:04 AM ----------

Just realised why you maybe can't buy extenders, maybe they want you to buy a complete strap set.

You are correct they are extenders. One per fin.

The extenders can be purchased separately through an authorized Mares dealer. Most stores probably do not stock this part but can order it. Part #40200178

Best,

Back
Top Bottom