Help please! A7 ii or A6000 or RX100 iii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I have moved from mu43 E-M1 with Pro lenses to Sony A7ii with 12-35 ; 24-70 etc. Now I'm debating should I house the A7ii or rather go with the A6000 or RX100 iii? For top photography the A7ii is a great choice similar weights / size. Underwater I thought of downsizing, but how much picture quality would I give up going to a A6000 or RX100 iii?
I like to keep it compact. So if the A7ii goes UW it would most likely be 35 2.8 lens in the 4 inch dome.

How much money do you want to spend?

The RX100 III is not the best choice. According to Interceptor121's posts, the 24-70 equivalent lens is too short for macro. The RX100 II would be a better choice underwater. I've got a RX100 I that I use topside and I love it.

If you go with the A6000, the Zeiss Touit 12mm lens is the best choice for wide angle. Ryan Canon from Reef Photo posted some photos on his company's website showing that it has very good corner-to-corner performance. Welcome to the Reef Photo Knowlege Base

Should you opt to house your A7II in a Nauticam housing, you could use the legendary 15mm Nikonos lens with an adapter. The 15 is a water-corrected optic that can out resolve the sensor.

Thank you DesertEagle. You are probably right about the Sony RX100 III, but but most of my shots 90% are wide angle UW. The Nikonos 15mm is manual focus, so I wonder what it would take to house perhaps the 35mm as an option? Dome wise I don't want it too large either not more than 6 or 7 inches. (And to me thats already BIG) as I travel a lot.
Hence I considered as a backup camera the A6000, just the lens would probaly only be for the crop vs my FF A7ii

No question the A7II. I shot an A7 for a trip and liked it a lot, smaller and lighter with amazing controls.

I have a review here:
[h=1]Mirrorless in Mexico: Nauticam NA-A7 - Sony a7 Review[/h]The Nikonos 15mm is a decent solution, although you end up wanting AF and controls on the camera, not the lens. Fortunately there are a lot of new FE mount lenses hitting the market for the A7 platform. The new FE 16-35mm f/4 looks to be the w/a lens to have. They are coming out with another wide angle lens and adapters, but it looks to be pretty unwieldy to house.

thanks, what dome do you recommend with the 16-35 f/4?
How would the 35mm f/2.8 fair? I know not as wide by semi wide. Wish there was a 24mm f/4 or so prime native with AF.
Thanks

No question the A7II. I shot an A7 for a trip and liked it a lot, smaller and lighter with amazing controls.

I have a review here:
Mirrorless in Mexico: Nauticam NA-A7 - Sony a7 Review

The Nikonos 15mm is a decent solution, although you end up wanting AF and controls on the camera, not the lens. Fortunately there are a lot of new FE mount lenses hitting the market for the A7 platform. The new FE 16-35mm f/4 looks to be the w/a lens to have. They are coming out with another wide angle lens and adapters, but it looks to be pretty unwieldy to house.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2015 at 06:43 PM ----------

Nauticam writes in their Article "the recently released 16-35mm is a game changer. This is a lens from the Sony Zeiss partnership, quaintly dubbed the Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS. It's a terrific rectilinear wide angle zoom that focuses close and demonstrates very good sharpness all around with medium to large sized dome ports. The Nauticam 180mm dome is an ideal choice for this lens. "

Can you confirm that the 7-inch Dome Port 36129 will accommodate the Sony 16-35 F/4 in the NA7 ii housing? thanks Jack

thanks, what dome do you recommend with the 16-35 f/4?
How would the 35mm f/2.8 fair? I know not as wide by semi wide. Wish there was a 24mm f/4 or so prime native with AF.
Thanks

---------- Post added April 4th, 2015 at 06:43 PM ----------

Nauticam writes in their Article "the recently released 16-35mm is a game changer. This is a lens from the Sony Zeiss partnership, quaintly dubbed the Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS. It's a terrific rectilinear wide angle zoom that focuses close and demonstrates very good sharpness all around with medium to large sized dome ports. The Nauticam 180mm dome is an ideal choice for this lens. "

Can you confirm that the 7-inch Dome Port 36129 will accommodate the Sony 16-35 F/4 in the NA7 ii housing? thanks Jack

The 35mm is ok, but it's not that wide, you're stacking a lot of water up.

They are also coming out with a 28mm f/2. Sony FE 28mm F2: Digital Photography Review
There are converters to take it to a 16mm FE but they are clunky and I think going to be very hard to house.
Sony adds wide-angle and fisheye adapters for full-frame and APS-C lenses: Digital Photography Review

----

No, the 7" 36129 Port will not fit. It is an N85 mount and you need an N100 to fit the A7II Housing for one thing and it is too small a diameter for another. The 180mm dome fits a variety of Sony FE mount lenses and others with an N120 to N100 adapter. The trade off for a rectilinear FX lens is a larger dome to have any hope for sharp corners.

The real problem with the A7 line is the lack of lenses. Sony is addressing it slowly, but it would be nice to see Sigma do a 15mmFE for instance for that mount.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom